Deputy Head of EU Affairs
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
As Facebook has become part of the daily lives of hundreds of millions of people around the world, policy makers in many countries naturally wish to talk to us, and we wish to talk to them. The Policy team manages these conversations - sharing information about the company's products and activities, responding to queries from politicians and regulators, and providing input into the development of regulation of the Internet sector.
We are looking for an experienced Public Policy individual to serve as Deputy head of EU Affairs in our Brussels team closely supporting and working with the Managing Director of EU Affairs at an executive level. You will be a superb policy communicator who can combine a passion for Internet services like Facebook with a deep knowledge of the political and regulatory dynamics in the EU Institutions and the EU broadly.
Successful applicants will have extensive senior level experience and become part of a team that is dealing with some of the most interesting public policy challenges of our times including privacy, freedom of expression, the impact of the internet on business models, and new opportunities for public service delivery. Knowledge in e-Commerce, cyber security, data privacy legislations is recommendable. This role will be based in Brussels.
- Stand-in for the Managing Director when not available
- Develop and execute a strategic approach to achieve company goals in public policy as they relate to the EU
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters affecting Facebook and advise company with respect to policy challenges
- Represent Facebook at a senior level in meetings with government officials and elected members
- Develop public policy positions with other team members at Facebook
- Build coalitions with other organizations to advance policy goals of Facebook
- Create innovative programmes for outreach to policy makers on the opportunities offered by Facebook
- Communicate Facebook's positions in public presentations and with media
- Advise Facebook teams on public policy matters to guide development of products, services and policies
- Detailed knowledge of EU regulatory and legislative processes, national level experience a further advantage
- A degree or advanced degree in a related field
- Proven experience working on relevant policy issues – candidates with both government/politics and industry experience strongly preferred
- Fluent English and French language essential - additional languages is a distinct advantage (in particular: German and Spanish). Solid experience with working with politicians and government officials including those at the most senior levels
- A passionate belief in the social benefits of the Internet and Facebook in particular
- An ability to build and manage cross-functional teams from a wide range of disciplines
- Experience of acting as a media spokesperson, preferably including radio and television
- Excellent communication skills for both small meetings and large events
- A flexible mindset that thrives in a fast-moving environment with a strong do-it-yourself culture
- A track record of writing and delivering articles, speeches, and presentations on relevant topics
- An ability to translate between the specialist languages of technology and politics
- All applications must be in English
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top