Scalable enterprise infrastructure involves complex mix of databases, applications and infrastructure toolsets. We need our Enterprise applications to be highly secure, available and reliable. Doing this at Facebook speed involves working on unique ways to improve scalability, robustness and quality of database systems. Is this you? You have a deep understanding of Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL and PostgreSQL systems that serve a global user-base. You love supporting customers, while ensuring 100% uptime and responsiveness. You aren't content with standard vendor solutions, and will engineer systems and applications to keep pace with Facebook speed of application development. This role requires you to work on creating/operating database infrastructure for applications internal to Facebook; you will deliver solutions with speed, security and quick turnaround to the needs of the business. A key ingredient for success in this role is a high interest around automation, high availability/disaster recovery and end-to-end optimization of the database stack.
DATABASE ENGINEER RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work on a team of highly technical and talented database engineers responsible for maintaining the global database systems for Facebook Enterprise Engineering.
- Build, scale, and administer Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL and PostgreSQL infrastructure with a focus on the performance, high availability and growth needs of the company.
- Improve and optimize database administration and management with coding and automation.
- Support day-to-day operations and escalations of the database systems.
- Contribute to meeting KPIs and SLAs through management of task queues.
- Support large-scale global disaster recovery exercises while working closely with other infrastructure, production and business teams at Facebook.
- Build an ecosystem supported by full-coverage automation with a bias towards build vs. buy and self-service as a primary objective.
- Troubleshooting, fault-isolation and communication across the infrastructure, applications and business teams.
- Participate in rotational on-call schedule.
- B.S. in Computer Science or a related field
- 5+ years of database administration experience working with Microsoft SQL Server 2016 along with either MySQL 8.0 or PostgreSQL 11.0 in a multi data center environment with clustering for high availability and disaster recovery
- 5+ years of experience with SQL Server AlwaysOn, Windows Failover Clustering
- 5+ years of experience with Windows Server 2016 and up
- 5+ years of experience with UNIX and TCP/IP network fundamentals
- 3+ years of scripting experience in PowerShell or Python
- 3+ years of experience managing geographically dispersed infrastructure and DR environments
- 3+ years of experience in configuration management tools such as Chef
- 3+ years of experience in Docker containers with Kubernetes
Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Back to top