Data Scientist, Analytics (Instagram)
(Menlo Park, CA - New York, NY)
Careers at Instagram
A Facebook Company
Over 700 million people use Instagram, which means jobs here offer countless ways to make an impact in a fast growing organization. Instagram was built to strengthen relationships through shared experiences. Our app has played a critical part in forming meaningful communities where people can connect with each other and share what matters most to them.
We're looking for Data Scientists to work on our core and business products across Instagram, who are passionate about using data to help drive informed product decisions for the company. You will enjoy working with one of the richest data sets in the world, cutting edge technology, and the ability to see your insights turned into real products on a regular basis. The perfect candidate will have a background in a quantitative or technical field, will have experience working with large data sets, and will have some experience in data-driven decision making. You are focused on results, a self-starter, and have demonstrated success for using analytics to drive the understanding, growth, and success of a product.
- Apply your expertise in quantitative analysis, data mining, and the presentation of data to see beyond the numbers and understand how our users interact with both our consumer and business products
- Partner with Product and Engineering teams to solve problems and identify trends and opportunities
- Inform, influence, support, and execute our product decisions and product launches
- The Data Scientist Analytics role has work across the following four areas:
- Product Operations
- Forecasting and setting product team goals
- Designing and evaluating experiments
- Monitoring key product metrics, understanding root causes of changes in metrics
- Building and analyzing dashboards and reports
- Building key data sets to empower operational and exploratory analysis
- Evaluating and defining metrics
- Exploratory Analysis
- Proposing what to build in the next roadmap
- Understanding ecosystems, user behaviors, and long-term trends
- Identifying new levers to help move key metrics
- Building models of user behaviors for analysis or to power production systems
- Product Leadership
- Influencing product teams through presentation of data-based recommendations
- Communicating state of business, experiment results, etc. to product teams
- Spreading best practices to analytics and product teams
- Data Infrastructure
- Working in Hadoop and Hive primarily, sometimes MySQL, Oracle, and Vertica
- Automating analyses and authoring pipelines via SQL and Python based ETL framework
- 5+ years of experience doing quantitative analysis.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics or other technical field. Advanced degrees.
- Experience in SQL or other programming languages.
- Development experience in any scripting language (PHP, Python, Perl, etc.)
- Ability to communicate the results of analyses.
- Understanding of statistics (e.g., hypothesis testing, regressions).
- Experience manipulating data sets through statistical software (ex. R, SAS) or other methods.
- Experience with distributed computing (Hive/Hadoop)
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top