Data Scientist, Analytics â€" Instagram Live Infra
Over a billion people use Instagram, which means jobs here offer countless ways to make an impact in a fast growing organization. Instagram was built to connect people to the people and interests they love. Our app has played a critical part in forming meaningful communities where people can connect with each other and share what matters most to them.
Weâ€™re looking for a Data Scientist to work on making our Live product the most performant Live product in the world. With users all over the world, on different devices and unreliable networks, we need to make sure that we deliver the best possible user experience through efforts such as reducing latency or crashes. We are looking for a thought leader in this space to help us frame up and prioritize all the infra investments that we are making across the IG Live product. The perfect candidate will have a background in a quantitative or technical field, will have experience working with large data sets, and will have some experience in data-driven decision making. You are focused on results, a self-starter, and have demonstrated success for using analytics to drive the understanding, growth, and success of a product. You are also someone who gets excited by working closely with engineering to solve app performance issues.
- Apply your expertise in quantitative analysis, data mining, and the presentation of data to see beyond the numbers and understand how our users interact with both our consumer and business products
- Partner with Product and Engineering teams to solve problems and identify trends and opportunities
- Inform, influence, support, and execute our product decisions and product launches
- Provide leadership and mentorship to other members of the team
- The Data Scientist Analytics role has work across the following four areas:
- Product Operations
- -Forecasting and setting product team goals
- -Designing and evaluating experiments
- -Monitoring key product metrics, understanding root causes of changes in metrics
- -Building and analyzing dashboards and reports
- -Building key data sets to empower operational and exploratory analysis
- -Evaluating and defining metrics
- Exploratory Analysis
- -Proposing what to build in the next roadmap
- -Understanding ecosystems, user behaviors, and long-term trends
- -Identifying new levers to help move key metrics
- - Building models of user behaviors for analysis or to power production systems
- Product Leadership
- -Influencing product teams through presentation of data-based recommendations
- -Communicating state of business, experiment results, etc. to product teams
- -Spreading best practices to analytics and product teams
- Data Infrastructure
- -Working in Hadoop and Hive primarily, sometimes MySQL, Oracle, and Vertica
- -Automating analyses and authoring pipelines via SQL and Python based ETL framework
- Experience building products and driving a product forward.
- Experience communicating the results of analyses.
- Knowledge of statistics (e.g., hypothesis testing, regressions).
- 5+ years of experience doing quantitative analysis.
- Experience in SQL or other programming languages.
- Development experience in any scripting language (PHP, Python, Perl, etc.).
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics or other technical field.
- Advanced degrees.
- Experience with distributed computing (Hive/Hadoop)
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top