Data Scientist, Analytics
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
We’re looking for data scientists to work on our core and business products (ex. Instagram, Messaging, Growth, Engagement, Ads) to help shape the future of what we build at Facebook. You will enjoy working with one of the richest data sets in the world, cutting edge technology, and the ability to see your insights turned into real products on a regular basis. The perfect candidate will have a background in a quantitative or technical field, will have experience working with large data sets, and will have some experience in data-driven decision making. You are focused on results, a self-starter, and have demonstrated success in using analytics to drive the understanding, growth, and success of a product. These positions are located in our Seattle office.
- Apply your expertise in quantitative analysis, data mining, and the presentation of data to see beyond the numbers and understand how our users interact with both our consumer and business products.
- Partner with Product and Engineering teams to solve problems and identify trends and opportunities
- Inform, influence, support, and execute our product decisions and product launches.
- The Data Scientist Analytics role has work across the following four areas:
- Product Operations
- Forecasting and setting product team goals
- Designing and evaluating experiments
- Monitoring key product metrics
- Understanding root causes of changes in metrics
- Building and analyzing dashboards and reports
- Building key data sets to empower operational and exploratory analysis
- Evaluating and defining metrics
- Exploratory Analysis
- Proposing what to build in the next roadmap
- Understanding ecosystems, user behaviors, and long-term trends
- Identifying new levers to help move key metrics
- Building models of user behaviors for analysis or to power production systems
- Product Leadership
- Influencing product teams through presentation of data-based recommendations
- Communicating state of business, experiment results, etc to product teams
- Spreading best practices to analytics and product teams
- Data Infrastructure
- Working in Hadoop and Hive primarily, sometimes MySQL, Oracle, and Vertica
- Automating analyses and authoring pipelines via SQL and python based ETL framework
- 2+ years experience doing quantitative analysis.
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics or other technical field.
- Experience in SQL or other programming languages.
- Development experience in at least one scripting language (PHP, Python, Perl, etc.)
- Ability to communicate the results of analyses with product and leadership teams.
- Understanding of statistics (e.g., hypothesis testing, regressions)
- Experience manipulating data sets through statistical software (ex. R, SAS) or other methods
- Experience with distributed computing (Hive/Hadoop)
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top