Data Science Manager, Instagram Well-being (Equity & Inclusion)
- San Francisco, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Instagram Well-being organization is working on ensuring that Instagram is a positive force in people's lives. This is the most important job we have over the next few years at Instagram. We want to make sure that people feel safe and supported when connecting with the people and things they love, and that people feel the freedom to express themselves on the platform. To do this, we build large-scale complex systems, state-of-the-art Machine Learning, and operate an infrastructure to enable detection, classification, and remediation of content, behaviors, and bad actors that contribute to bad experiences for our community. To complement our existing efforts that ensure a safe, supported and trusted environment for our users, we are building a full-time product team focused on Equity & Inclusion with the mission of creating the most equitable experience for our global communities on Instagram. While we've had multiple efforts in this area across both Instagram and Facebook, we're forming this new dedicated team within Instagram in order to help centralize and accelerate our progress in this critical space. The recent racial justice movement is a moment of real significance for our company and we want to ensure we prevent any bias in our systems, products and policies as it runs counter to providing a platform for everyone to express themselves.
At the heart of the Instagram Well-being organization is the data science team whose empirical studies and rigorous analyses shape the direction of Well-being product development, striving to protect Instagram users and their data and enables seamless development of safe and supportive products. The Data Science Manager, Instagram Well-Being (Equity & Inclusion), will lead the data science team focused on projects that help make Instagram an equitable product for everyone. This leader will help develop the measurement strategy, drive execution and collaboration across Instagram and Facebook teams to develop better features, frameworks, tools and systems to support equity in our product. Additionally, they'll drive collaboration and programs across Instagram Data Science teams to leverage those methodologies. The leader will do this by creating a number of tools and services and deciding the right metrics to track, measurement/testing to establish, predictions to build, and data automation to drive to help us know whether or not we are meeting our mission to be a positive force in the world.
We are looking for hands-on problem solvers with a strong ability to lead through influence and build organizations. You will work in close partnership with a top-notch group of researchers and data scientists across Facebook, Inc. to translate user research and guidance from technical experts into data-driven product strategies. You will enjoy working with one of the richest data sets in the world, cutting edge technology, and the ability to see your strategic thinking and ideas turned into real products on a regular basis. You should be flexible and comfortable working in a cross-functional capacity within a fast-paced, multidisciplinary environment. Additionally, we're looking for individuals who are truly passionate and have demonstrated success in developing and implementing Diversity & Inclusion strategies and evaluating and measuring bias in products and algorithms.
- Identify high-impact analytical problems and find innovative ways to tackle these problems via data analysis, experimentation, and statistical modeling
- Size opportunities to ensure product teams are prioritizing the most impactful work
- Ensure product strategy has actionable measurement plans by owning goal metrics and evaluating product team performance
- Execute on high priority learning initiatives and measurement strategies for Well-being, Instagram, and Facebook
- Establish strong trusted relationships with the data science and product communities of Instagram and Facebook
- Lead cross-functional and cross-team relationship building and collaboration with product, user research and engineering team
- 6+ years of experience with quantitative analysis
- 3+ years of experience with people management
- 5+ years of experience in an analytical role in a technology company, consulting, investment banking, or product management
- 5+ years experience with SQL or other programming languages
- Experience initiating and driving projects to completion with minimal guidance
- Experience communicating the results of analysis
- Ph.D. in a quantitative discipline (e.g., statistics, mathematics, economics)
- Understanding of statistical analysis, experience with packages, such as python, R, MATLAB, SPSS, SAS, Stata, etc.
- Experience with complex measurement methodologies and evaluating ML models from algorithmic bias perspective
- Experience working in a highly ambiguous field with evolving definitions and boundaries
- Demonstrated success developing and implementing D&I strategies
- Experience as a D&I subject matter expert within a dynamic organization
- Experience serving underrepresented communities, in product, research or volunteering capacity
Back to top