Data Protection Officer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook Ireland Limited ("Facebook") seeks an experienced and highly motivated data protection and privacy professional to fill the role of Director of Data Protection for Facebook in Dublin at Facebook's international headquarters. Facebook recognises the importance of data protection and privacy to the millions of people who use its services, and in ensuring compliance with data protection law and the EU's General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR") which will apply from May 2018. This individual will play a critical role in continuing to build, develop and deliver Facebook's data protection and privacy programme to ensure compliance with data protection and privacy laws, including the GDPR.
- The Data Protection Officer will, in accordance with Article 39 of the GDPR, be responsible for, among other duties.
- Monitoring compliance with the GDPR, European and national data protection laws and Facebook policies, including conducting regular internal compliance checks
- Consulting and engaging with relevant Data Protection Authorities, including ensuring regular briefings and maintaining accurate and up-to-date records demonstrating Facebook's GDPR compliance
- Overseeing training and raising awareness internally on data protection and privacy
- Informing and advising Facebook Ireland on all issues relating to data protection and privacy under the GDPR and European and national data protection laws
- Providing advice on data protection impact assessments under Art. 35 of the GDPR
- Reporting on Facebook's compliance with the GDPR to the highest management level within Facebook
- Act as point of contact for people who use Facebook with respect to the processing of their personal data and the exercise of their data protection rightsThe candidate will be an expert in data protection and privacy practices. You will be familiar with national and European data protection laws and practices, with an in-depth understanding of the GDPR. You will also have a proven record of successfully engaging with Data Protection Authorities at the highest levels on matters concerning data protection compliance. You will also have demonstrated leadership and have experience in working across multiple functions to articulate, coordinate and drive agreed strategies. Candidates should be excellent communicators. They will be experienced at presenting to executive management at the very highest levels. They will also be excellent writers, capable of producing impactful written communications for Data Protection Authorities, regulators and policymakers.
- At least 10 years relevant working experience and proven track record of dealing with data protection and privacy issues for multi-national organisations
- Extensive experience engaging with Data Protection Authorities
- Excellent analytical and writing skills together with sound strategic and tactical understanding of handling current policy issues
- Detailed knowledge of data protection and privacy practices and the regulatory and legislative framework in the European region
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to make sound judgments under tight deadlines
- Strong knowledge of and interest in emerging technologies and their potential social and economic impacts
- Good knowledge of Facebook's and other internet providers' business models, products and platforms
- Demonstrated ability to find practical, pragmatic and creative solutions to compliance issues
- Excellent academic credentials - advanced degrees preferred
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top