Data Centre Water Specialist
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook designs, builds, leases and operates the most innovative and efficient data centers in the world. Developing, operating and managing the data center infrastructure and facilities the "right" way is synonymous with ensuring high uptime, capacity availability, flexibility and capital and operational cost efficiency in a safe working environment.
Facebook is seeking a water specialist to manage cross-functional program efforts for the large and growing European Data Center portfolio during pre-development, construction, and operations phases. This position will report directly to the Data Center Environmental Manager on the Site Selection team, and will work closely with other Data Center teams. This position is full-time and located in our Dublin European headquarters. Travel is needed to visit our data center sites and attend agency and stakeholder meetings.
- Manage water program for Data Centers, including facilitating and driving communication and cross-team coordination between internal water stakeholders, including Sustainability, Strategic Engineering and Development, and Operations for entire life cycle of a project (preconstruction, construction, and operations)
- Coordinating and performing water due diligence activities across multiple development efforts throughout Europe, including working closely with other internal teams to conduct risk assessments and identify recommendations during site selection.
- Manage water agreements during all phases of a project, including supporting internal teams on agreement development, ensuring contract compliance by tracking and implementing ongoing obligations. Summarize and communicate water commitments and obligations across multiple diverse Facebook teams.
- Lead programmatic strategy and decisions on water evaluations, water rights, and waterrelated permits.
- Scope, review findings, and provide direction to consultants and internal teams on water evaluations, when needed.
- Aggregate, review and evaluate water monitoring data to compare against agreements, identify anomalies, and establish best practices. Work with internal partners on external stakeholder communication.
- Monitor country-specific policies that could affect water.
- Provide expertise to diverse internal teams and coordinate with other teams about relevant water issues and requirements.
- Develop training and educational tools regarding water goals, compliance and awareness.
- Manage water utility billing during construction and operation.
- Manage the preparation of Water Emergency Plans for Data Centers, including coordinating input from consultants and diverse internal teams.
- Build and maintain relationships with relevant water utilities during site selection, construction, and operations.
- Assist in facilitating the growth of the environmental program within Facebook Data Centers as the company continues to grow and build environmental excellence
- Bachelor's degree and 10+ years professional experience in water and wastewater engineering, water resources management, or hydrology/hydrogeology
- Technical expertise related to industrial water use and wastewaster discharge, water efficiency techniques, as well as water policy and permitting
- Familiarity with wastewater discharge requirements in Europe
- Professional experience in working with water utilities
- Communication, organizational and program management skills
- Highly skilled in data management software, such as excel
- Ability to manage multiple projects and coordinate with internal staff and external consultants, vendors and other stakeholders
- Self-motivator and able to execute and track tasks Ability to work in teams, and establish and maintain cross-functional and working relationships
- Ability to communicate and work with highly confidential information
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed (up to 35%)
- Master's degree in related field
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top