Data Center Systems Thermal Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
The Data Center Systems Thermal Engineer works at the confluence of Facebook's compute, storage and networking hardware and our data center electrical, mechanical and network infrastructure. This position is in the newly formed Data Center System Engineering team and will collaborate with the Facebook teams designing and operating our data centers and hardware. The Engineer will view these elements as a large-scale system and will solve system-level issues as they arise. More importantly, they will prevent them from occurring by influencing the design of the constituent elements. The ideal candidate has significant experience developing enterprise or cloud-scale hardware and will use this experience to understand how those products interact with each other and the surrounding infrastructure.
This is a full-time position and is located in Menlo Park, CA.
- Participate in critical thermal design reviews for data center and hardware system
- Define the system level specification that guides the hardware system design and data center design to operate efficiently
- Use data gathered from large scale fleet to analysis the thermal performance and provide guidance to increase overall efficiency
- Perform system level of thermal simulation and validation for critical areas in the data center
- Perform airflow and pressure measurement, at rack and building level, as necessary
- Collaborate with data center Site Operations and Facilities Operations teams, and Hardware Design and Release-to Production teams to understand issues affecting operational scalability of Facebook data centers and POPs
- Work with these internal groups and external consultants to perform complex, system-level troubleshooting, as needed
- Use the knowledge gained to highlight opportunities for significant engineering improvements and lead high impact, measurable, cross-functional initiatives
- Travel may be necessary to support field thermal measurement and validation
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent practical experience
- 7+ years of experience or equivalent developing products with thermal design ownership on rack-able networking or data center applications
- Knowledge with CFD and thermal analysis experience for high power equipment
- Experience with thermal measurement techniques using automation
- Collaboration and influencing experience
- Advanced Engineering or Physics degree
- Experience with advance cooling techniques such as liquid cooling
- Experience using FlowTherm or Data Center CFD such as 6Sigma
- Experience with large-scale cloud environments in compute, storage or networking
- Experience with data center or large infrastructure cooling systems
Back to top