Data Center Planning Manager
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
We are looking for a technically proficient and engineering minded Data Center Planning Manager to help create and maintain new build and existing data center plans. As a DC Planning Manager, you will lead complex, multi disciplinary analysis across our supply roadmap, decommissioning and retrofits, and various ad hoc projects prior to execution. You will be expected to help lead a rigorous program that monitors the pulse of Facebook’s global demand needs against the tempo of new and existing data center supply. This role will serve as the primary interface with our Capacity Engineering and Analysis group to interpret demand, assess feasibility, and coordinate the data center plans. This includes assessing the feasibility of demand proposals by evaluating specific region considerations, resourcing constraints, and technical requirements with data center engineering and operations teams. In addition, this role will also help manage any requested changes to the plan and work with engineering groups in evaluating the capacity, cost, and timing impacts. You’re equally at home rolling up the sleeves and being in the details as well as providing recommendations to team leads. Among your many attributes you have a technical background in infrastructure capacity planning and an understanding of servers, networks, data center operations. You possess excellent communication and presentation skills as well as the ability to work closely and constructively with all areas of the business.
- Lead regular planning discussions with key data center stakeholders across capacity engineering, technical program management, and data center teams to drive end-to-end analysis and ensure alignment on all aspects of data center planning.
- Coordinate and work across data center teams to evaluate the technical and tactical feasibility of future decommissioning, retrofit, and turn up plans.
- Partner with R&D, Construction, Design, and Network Engineering to conduct ad hoc analysis on future data center technologies, power allocations, and other critical path areas to assess feasibility and provide optimal tactical and strategic plans.
- Assemble data and develop models to reconcile, analyze, and report demand and supply.
- Develop best practices for capacity reporting and generation of key metrics needed to report on the supply availability for our data centers.
- Manage global data centers development decision dates across varying stages of deployments and development lead times.
- Manage any requested changes to the plan and work with engineering groups in evaluating the capacity, cost, and timing impacts.
- Partner with engineering teams to conduct ad-hoc capacity and cost analysis, including evaluating changes to data center designs and adoption of new infrastructure technologies.
- BA/BS degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- MBA or graduate degree from university.
- 5 plus years of server, data center, networking or large-scale infrastructure capacity planning.
- Experienced in program management and leading cross functional teams and discussions.
- Knowledge in Excel
- Experience using statistical software (R, S-Plus, SAS, or similar), databases (SQL) and scripting languages (such as Python).
- Communication and presentation skills.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top