Data Center Operations Engineer
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a forward thinking experienced engineer to join the Data Center Operations Team. The person should enjoy working in a fast paced environment where adaptability and flexibility is key to their success. This position is full-time and will be based in our Ashburn, VA Data Center.
We seek an IT professional with advanced hands-on technical skills in Networks, Server Hardware and Linux (ideally in a Data Center environment). Having extensive knowledge of managing servers and performing complex projects in a large-scale distributed data center environment is a core competency of this individual.
The candidate should also have deep knowledge and experience in at least one of the following core areas: Networking, Project Management, Tool and Automation, Hardware and OS repair.
- Work in teams to deploy and maintain new data center infrastructure
- Understand and debug network, hardware, and Linux OS related issues
- Perform deep dives on technical issues within the DC
- Perform server upgrades, integration, rebuilds and other projects
- Provide cross data center support and identify potentially larger issues, displaying effective communication when something is identified
- Work with internal hardware and vendors to help resolve complex technical issues
- Understand and be able to update and develop scripting and smaller sets of software
- Identify and help create documentation for the global data center knowledge base
- Mentor team members to evaluate and look for better ways to resolve issues and define updates to tools and processes
- Track issues and analyze data looking for trends and systemic issues
- Be forward thinking to support all DC teams to reduce potential risks to upcoming projects
- Help identify specifications for tools that facilitate deployment and decommissioning of server hardware at scale
- Assist with process improvements and inform best practices in data center operations
- Be the go-to server hardware technical resource in the DC
- Display an understanding of organizational structure and capability to work with cross-functional teams on a given project
- BS or BA in technical field or commensurate experience
- 5+ years of technical experience
- Understanding of Linux and hardware systems support in an Internet operations environment
- Experience modifying and developing in Python, SQL and/or shell scripting
- Experience managing multiple projects within the same time schedule
- Understanding of enterprise level networking and storage equipment installs
- Should have an understanding of out-of-band/lights-out server communication methods, such as IPMI and serial console
- Participate in on-call rotation
- Must possess time and project management skills
- Ability to lift/move 20-30 lbs equipment on a daily basis
- Experience in working in a large-scale data center environment
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top