Data Center Network Engineer
- Denver, CO
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Network Engineers at Facebook are hybrid software/network engineers who design, build and operate our worldwide data center network. This team owns the complete lifecycle of the data center network from planning, design, product definition, QA, deployment and monitoring. Simple and scalable network design, automation and data analytics are the keys to meeting our demands. In this role, you will be responsible for conceiving, developing and deploying network software, systems and tools that keep the data center network operating at maximum reliability, scalability and efficiency.
Do you like developing innovative solutions to some of the most complex scaling and reliability challenges out there? Do you want to build and operate the hyper-scale data center network that powers the world's largest social network? Do you want to ship code in production that positively impacts the experience of billions of users worldwide? Then, this is the role for you!
- (Re)Design, deploy, manage and maintain the Facebook data center networks worldwide
- Develop software that improves the reliability, efficiency and velocity of building and operating the data center network
- Participate in the network on-call rotation and be an escalation contact for site events. Analyze data and identify root cause to network issues. Build monitoring systems and software robots that can debug and remediate network issues at scale
- Test new network platforms before they are deployed in production
- Build automation that improves the safety and reliability of our network software CI/CD pipeline
- Partner alongside the best engineers in the industry on the coolest stuff around - the code and systems you work on, will be in production and used by billions of users all around the world
- 2+ years of experience in one or more of higher level programming languages: Python, C, C++, Go, etc.
- Understanding of TCP/IP
- 5+ years of routing protocol experience in one or more of BGP, OSPF, ISIS or similar routing protocols - understanding of typical configurations and performance
- 5+ years of experience in configuration and maintenance of network devices and NMS systems, or applications such as web servers, load balancers, relational databases, storage systems and messaging systems
- Experience developing and understanding network device configuration for at least one vendor (Arista, Juniper, Cisco, Brocade, Ciena, Infinera, Linux, etc.)
- Experience understanding and mitigating network hardware and topology failures
- BS or MS in Computer Science or Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- Experience in a service provider or hyper-scale network in engineering or design roles
- Experience in developing networking platforms and NOS software
- Knowledge in MPLS/Traffic-Engineering
- Understanding of the internals of a Router/Switch hardware, NPU/dataplanes and Optics
- Understanding of the design principles and troubleshooting of distributed systems
Back to top