Data Center Network Engineer
- Santa Clara, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking data center technicians to join the Enterprise Engineering (EE) Infrastructure team to help build and maintain data center equipment supporting Facebook's incredible growth. Our group requires working cross-functionally with a number of organizations to ensure optimal operation and growth of our data center, network, compute, and storage resources.
- Provide subject-matter expertise regarding data center network planning, architecture and standards.
- Demonstrate personal leadership. Identifying and helping to create documentation for the global data center knowledge base.
- Interface and align with all of our network and partner engineering teams such as Compute, Storage and Edge Network and act as point of contact for every new data center network project.
- Shape solutions through early and active involvement in project and product life cycles.
- Create deployment packages and standards to ensure global consistency and make solid network recommendations to best facilitate ongoing company technology projects.
- Accountable for assisting with projects (new capacity as well as retrofits) and repairs throughout the data center.
- Work within Facebook's ticketing system in support of the health of Facebook's data center infrastructure.
- Contribution on development & deployment of numerous technologies in order to evolve and scale our data centers.
- Perform deep dives and analyze complex technical issues within the data center, ranging from automated tooling to hardware failures and network issues.
- Understanding and initial analysis to debug data center technologies including, but not limited to, server, storage, network, optical.
- Update and development of scripts and smaller sets of software.
- Assist with process improvements and best practices in data center operations.
- Participate in an on-call rotation to support the regional network infrastructure 24x7.
- 10% of travel required, up to 30% based on projects.
- 5+ years of experience in TCP, IP[v4|v6], BGP and related protocols
- 3+ years of experience in structured cabling and fiber optic infrastructure - their application and limitations within the data center space
- Knowledge of Linux and server hardware
- Understanding of network hardware platforms and their specifications in the data center space
- Experience troubleshooting common network issues
- Time management and communication skills
- Experience modifying and developing in Python, SQL and/or shell scripting
- Proven experience working in fast-paced global team environments and solving problems with limited supervision
- 1+ years of scripting experience with Linux system, Python, Perl, or other languages
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related
- Working knowledge of current and emerging optical and ethernet transport technologies
- Experience with field-based work in Data Centers, Colocation Facilities, Internet Exchanges, or Central Offices
- Working knowledge of data center power and cooling infrastructure and critical facility operational best practices
- Technical leadership experience
Back to top