Data Center Facility Operations Mechanical Engineer, University Grad
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking an entry level Mechanical Engineer experienced in the operations and design of critical facilities to become part of our data center Facility Operations Engineering team. Our data centers are the foundation upon which our rapidly growing infrastructure efficiently operates and our innovative services are delivered. The Operations Engineering team ensures our highly reliable environment is supported. The ideal candidate will be an ambitious and avid learner and will be able to work both broadly, leading critical projects cross-functionally; as well as independently, leading deep dives and expert analyses. This position is full-time and located in our Menlo Park office.
- Lead and perform in-depth analyses on the operation of the mechanical systems to drive data center design, identifying and developing strategies to optimize operations. Identify key improvements and work to minimize constraints or limitations already identified
- Develop and conduct regular analyses and audits of mechanical system capabilities. Develop effective metrics and reports from BMS and other monitoring systems to improve performance and reliability.
- Evaluate complex systems to perform effective and efficient load management and capacity planning. Monitor, trend, and develop engineering metrics and statistical data for strategic planning.
- Develop comprehensive project plans and inform frequently on progress, risks and schedule
- Participate in equipment failure and outage incidents and root cause analysis (RCA). Implement solutions across regions.
- Develop and review design standards, specs, and method of procedure (MOP) for consistency and system reliability.
- Baseline facility processes and industry best practices to drive efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Travel to data center sites for engineering studies, mechanical systems audits, startup testing and full commissioning.
- Develop and generate specification, RFPs, ROMs and SOWs for projects.
- Review "as-built" mechanical documentation and verify accuracy. Investigate actual site conditions and keep records updated.
- Conduct regular analyses and audits of mechanical system utilization.
- Develop effective measurements and reports from BMS and other monitoring systems to increase performance and reliability.
- Troubleshoot and establish corrective actions for designs and implementation.
- Available to start employment in 2018.
- Ability to obtain Professional Engineering (PE) license within 4 years of joining.
- Ability to obtain Fundamentals of Engineering (or EIT) certification within 1 year of joining.
- Troubleshooting and analytical skills.
- Cross-discipline knowledge of complete critical facility systems such as electrical power distribution.
- Communication, presentation, project management and reporting skills.
- Ability to drive projects under pressure.
- Ability and willingness to travel to site locations approximately 30% of the time.
- Pursuing Bachelors or Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- In a degree program with a focus on HVAC.
- Knowledge of HVAC systems and processes including Direct Evaporative and Indirect Evaporative Cooling, Chilled Water Systems, Condenser Water Systems, pumps, AHU units (DX, RTU, CRAC, etc.), and CFD.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top