Data Center Facility Operations Mechanical Engineer
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Mechanical Engineer experienced in the design and operations of Critical Facilities to become part of our Data Center Operations team. Our data centers are the foundation upon which our software operates with efficient ease. The Facility Operations team designs and ensures our highly reliable environment is supported. The ideal candidate shall be able to work both broadly leading critical projects cross functionally, as well as work independently through deep dives and expert analyses. This position is full-time and located in our Menlo Park office.
- Lead mechanical engineering activities and projects for the Facilities infrastructure operations team. This includes working cross functionally with design teams, construction, field operations, vendors and R&D.
- Troubleshoot and establish corrective actions for designs and implementation.
- Conduct regular analyses and audits of mechanical system utilization. Develop effective measurements and reports from BMS and other monitoring systems to increase performance and reliability.
- Evaluate systems to perform effective and efficient load management and capacity planning. Monitor, trend, and develop engineering metrics and statistical data for strategic planning.
- Review "as-built" mechanical documentation and verify accuracy. Investigate actual site conditions and update records.
- Develop and generate specifications, RFPs, ROMs and SOWs for projects.
- Evaluate facility processes and industry best practices to drive efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Travel to data center sites for engineering studies, mechanical systems audits, startup testing, and full commissioning.
- BS in mechanical engineering.
- 5+ years professional experience in data center/mission critical design, construction, operations and maintenance.
- Knowledge in airflow and water distribution systems, including reverse osmosis (RO) plants and pretreatment processes (water softening and filtration).
- Knowledge of HVAC systems, Chilled Water Systems, Condenser Water Systems, pumps, AHU units (DX, RTU, CRAC, etc.), CFD, Raised Floor Systems, HOT/COLD aisle containment, and Building Management Systems
- Cross-discipline knowledge of complete critical facility systems such as electrical power distribution, and life safety systems.
- Ability to drive projects under pressure
- Must be familiar with AutoCAD and Visio software
- Travel approximately 25-30%
- Mechanical Professional Engineer (PE) registration
- 5+ years of HVAC design experience
- Knowledge of industry standards, building codes and safety standards, including familiarity of ASHRAE TC9.9, ASHRAE 90.4, NFPA-75/76, FM Global Requirements, and SMACNA guidelines
- Familiar with navigating through Building Management System programs (Alerton and Siemens)
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top