Data Center Facility Mechanical Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Mechanical Engineer experienced in the operations support and design of critical facilities to become part of our data center Facility Operations Engineering (Ops Eng) team. Our data centers are the foundation upon which our rapidly growing infrastructure efficiently operates and our innovative services are delivered. The Operations Engineering team ensures our highly reliable environment is guaranteed. The ideal candidate will be able to work broadly, both leading critical projects cross functionally as well as work independently leading deep dives and expert analyses. This position is full-time and located in our Dublin city center office supporting all Facebook's data centers in Europe.
- Lead mechanical engineering activities and projects for the Facilities Operations team. This includes working cross functionally with design teams, construction, field operations, vendors and R&D.
- Conduct analyses and audits of mechanical systems performance. Develop effective metrics and reports from BMS and other monitoring systems to improve efficiency and reliability.
- Evaluate facilities' complex systems to perform effective and efficient load management and capacity planning. Monitor, trend, and develop engineering metrics and statistical data for strategic planning.
- Travel to data center sites for operations support, engineering studies, mechanical systems audits, equipment startup testing and commissioning
- Develop and generate specifications, RFPs, ROMs and SOWs for retrofit and upgrade projects. Provide input on new data center design and commissioning.
- Review "as-built" mechanical documentation and verify accuracy. Investigate actual site conditions and support the effort to keep records updated.
- Troubleshoot equipment failures and establish corrective actions for design and implementation
- Evaluate facility processes and industry best practices to drive efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Ensure tight coordination with and shared practices between Ops Eng teams based in Menlo Park, California headquarters and in Dublin
- BSc/BE in Mechanical Engineering.
- Chartered Mechanical Engineer (CEng with MIEI or CIBSE) registration is preferred
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM) is preferred
- 8+ years professional experience in data center/mission critical design and operations.
- Knowledge of HVAC systems to include most/all of: Direct Evaporative and Indirect Evaporative Cooling, Chilled Water Systems, Condenser Water Systems, pumps, AHU units (DX, RTU, CRAC, etc.), CFD, Raised Floor Systems, Hot/Cold aisle containment, fluid handling and Building Management Systems
- Familiar with energy modeling tools, including the ability to develop new tools for data acquisition and visualization
- Should possess knowledge of industry standards, building codes and safety standards, including familiarity with relevant European codes/ standards and ideally some knowledge of ASHRAE TC9.9, ASHRAE 90.4, NFPA-75/76, FM Global Requirements and SMACNA guidelines
- Should be familiar with navigating through Building Management System programs (e.g. Alerton and Siemens)
- Strong cross-discipline knowledge of other critical facility systems such as electrical power distribution
- Strong troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Excellent communication, presentation, project management and reporting skills
- Ability to drive projects under pressure
- This position will be based in Dublin, Ireland with travel within Europe and the US required approx. 30%
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top