Data Center Facility Electrical Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook was built to help people connect and share, and over the last decade our tools have played a critical part in changing how people around the world communicate with one another. With over a billion people using the service and more than fifty offices around the globe, a career at Facebook offers countless ways to make an impact in a fast growing organization.Facebook is seeking an Electrical Engineer experienced in the operations support and design of critical facilities to become part of our data center Facility Operations Engineering team. Our data centers are the foundation upon which our rapidly growing infrastructure efficiently operates and our innovative services are delivered. The establishment of new regions in the US, Europe, and Asia are important next steps in the evolution of the Facebook's infrastructure expansion. The Operations Engineering team designs retrofit and upgrade projects and ensures our highly reliable environment is guaranteed. The ideal candidate will be able to work broadly, both leading critical projects cross functionally as well as work independently leading deep dives and expert analyses. This position is full-time and located in our Dublin city center office supporting all of Facebook's data centers in Europe.
- Lead complex electrical engineering projects and initiatives. This includes working cross functionally with design teams, construction, field operations, vendors, and R&D.
- Conduct analyses and audits of electrical systems, and lead improvements.
- Prepare electrical specifications and design criteria for retrofits, and provide input on future data center design reviews.
- Travel to data center sites for operations support, engineering studies, electrical systems audits, startup testing, and full commissioning.
- Participate in equipment failure and power outage incidents and drive Root-Cause-Analysis (RCA). Implement solutions broadly across all regions.
- Evaluate data center commissioning scripts and participate in commissioning activities for new and retrofitted data centers.
- Develop and review design standards, specs, and method of procedures (MOP) for consistency and maximum system reliability.
- Generate RFPs, ROMs and SOWs for projects.
- Review and update data center electrical "as-built" documentation as re-configurations occur.
- Respond to incidents and emergencies.
- Participate in vendor, supplier, and contractor management at each site.
- Review electrical mission critical system changes with local data center operations teams.
- Provide and analyze energy efficient solutions to minimize power losses.
- Develop innovative and efficient improvement through lessons learned and Design Change Management
- BE/BSc or post-graduate (ME/MSc) in Electrical Engineering
- Chartered Electrical Engineer (CEng) registration is preferred, but candidates on track to complete this will be considered
- 8+ years professional experience in data center design, construction, operations, and maintenance of critical facilities (or related fields)
- Working knowledge of high voltage (115kV, 12kV) substation design, mission critical power distribution, generator power systems, and Building Management Systems
- Knowledge of industry standards, European building codes and safety standards
- Strong cross-discipline knowledge of complete critical facility systems
- Strong trouble shooting and analytical skills
- Excellent communication, presentation, project management, and reporting skills
- Familiarity with SKM (or ETAP) is preferred
- Experience in load management at the operations level within a critical facility
- This position will be based in Dublin, Ireland with travel within Europe and the US required approx. 30%
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top