Data Center Facilities Operations Lead Startup Engineer
- Fremont, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Our Data Centers are the foundation upon which our rapidly scaling infrastructure efficiently operates to deliver our innovative services. Facebook is seeking an experienced, outgoing, and self-motivated Lead Startup Engineer to join our Site Startup team within Facility Operations. This person will lead a team on the forefront of Facility Operations who prepare for turnover and initial operation of our growing fleet of Data Centers. Managing stakeholders spread across time zones is a significant challenge and key to the success of our individual projects and overall program.
- Develop, mentor, and manage Startup Engineers.
- Influence cross-functional partner involvement at both the tactical and strategic level.
- Keep Startup Engineers updated on all broader organizational programs and strategy.
- Communicate with cross-functional partners and functional groups to ensure alignment and compliance with SSU and boarder Facility Operations programs.
- Manage vendors who support Site Startup programs and processes.
- Conduct Data Center visits with the SSU Engineers to evaluate execution of SSU programs and processes at the site level. Provide reports to the SSU Manager on the status of the Data Center and the site teams ability to achieve operational readiness at turnover.
- Responsible for the Facility Operations Site Startup project plans as assigned to Regional SSU Engineers. To work closely with those site Facility Operations teams to support meeting all project milestones during construction.
- Support key programs developed by the SSU team supporting the overall Site Startup effort.
- Identify and correct gaps in existing processes or lack thereof related to starting up new Data Center facilities.
- Serve as a technical/consultative resource concerning operations of Data Center facilities and equipment, specifically for sites in the construction phase.
- Support hiring and onboarding of Facility Operations personnel. Coordinate manufactured equipment testing participation and personally support when needed.
- Ensure the General Contractor coordinates vendor training for technical and shift operations personnel.
- Coordinate with the site teams to establish all required service contracts prior to handover.
- Develop and approve processes, procedures, and reporting metrics that help drive successful turnover of new Data Centers.
- Ensure site Facility Operations teams are executing against the Construction/Facility Operations handover processes. Ensure processes are in place to document all deficiencies with temporary mitigations plans in place, and a roadmap exists outlining implementation of final corrective actions and closeout.
- Interface and coordinate with internal organizations and stakeholders to include Data Center Design, Infrastructure Construction Management, Global Facility Operations Support, Data Center Facilities Engineering Team, Procurement, and Logistics teams to support driving day one readiness at turnover.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed (25%-50%).
- Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline or commensurate experience.
- Process oriented with high attention to detail.
- Minimum 10 years of experience with construction and/or operations of mission critical facilities.
- Experience leading small teams and sub-contractors.
- Experience to educate and influence cross-functional teams.
- Experience to effectively communicate risk versus benefit.
- Experience in integrated change management across a global organization.
- Experience with standard Data Center equipment or the equivalent in similar industries to include: electrical distribution equipment from switchgear down to panelboards, VFDs, low voltage power and molded case circuit breakers, overhead IT busway, Diesel Generators, DX units, air handling units, water treatment equipment, controls and monitoring, and hot aisle containment accessories.
- Analytical, creative thinking, and communications skills with experience to effectively distill and communicate complex details throughout all organizational levels.
- Highly skilled in use of Microsoft Office Suite and familiar with collaboration software.
- Formal project management training and experience.
- Commissioning of mission critical infrastructure.
- Quality assurance and quality controls experience.
- Experience in MS SharePoint, project management software (e.g. MS Project, P6, etc.), construction management tools, and data visualization software and tools.
Back to top