Data Center Connectivity Project Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Project Engineer to join our Data Center Connectivity (DCC) team. Our data centers are the foundation upon which our innovative services are delivered and our rapidly scaling infrastructure operates. The DCC team lights up Facebook's global data centers, delivering the physical infrastructure that connects the world to the videos, feeds, and other information stored on Facebook's server banks. The DCC Project Engineer will provide field level project management and administrative functions to ensure DCC projects are being executed within budget, and on schedule. The Project Engineer will be the key point of contact for managing the full project life-cycle from start-up and be a key interface to the greater Program Management team. This position is full-time and located in Ashburn, VA.
- Assure delivery and maintenance of all structured cabling and connectivity, on time, within budget, and to corporate standards of quality, reliability, and uptime.
- Creation, maintenance, and reporting of site project and program schedules.
- Work closely with the Program Management team throughout the project lifecycle to include creation of project and program plans through lessons learned documentation.
- Assure site as-built and lessons learned documentation archives are complete and up-to-date.
- Supports leadership with forecasting and budget exercises as needed.
- Report progress and risks on site projects and other initiatives to key stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Engineering team to review Bills of Materials and ensure all hardware and materials required to complete each new build and retrofit project are ordered.
- Conducts pre-project planning, project handoffs, and ensures design delivery and verification. Works with team members to track milestones.
- Support development of best practices and initiatives, coordinating SOPs/SIPs with vendors, and participating in global and regional standards.
- Manage change order requests and tooling roll-outs.
- Assure crisp oversight and clear communications with vendors.
- Assure rapid responses to high priority builds and break-fixes.
- Coordinate and collaborate effectively with the entire Data Center team including design, construction management, network implementation, and operations.
- Assist with developing project budgets and providing cost estimates.
- Identify and respond to risks and high-priority issues rapidly and effectively through effective action and appropriate escalation.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Management, or Science.
- 6+ years professional experience in project or construction management.
- An oversight of timelines and budgets for projects is required.
- Ability to engage and effectively guide stakeholders is required.
- Must be detail oriented, able to provide solutions to problems.
- Experience overseeing vendors work and suppliers towards the same project goals.
- Prior experience in a mission critical environment requiring coordination across multi-disciplines for delivering a common goal.
- Communications skills
- Experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint) and MS Project is required.
- Knowledge of cabling technologies and standards
- Data center development and construction experience
- Experience in mission critical environments
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top