Data Center Connectivity Hardware Engineer
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Hardware Engineer to join our Data Center Connectivity team. Our data centers are the foundation upon which our rapidly growing infrastructure efficiently operates and our innovative services delivered. The successful candidate is responsible for new product introductions in our data center connectivity installations, including new builds and retrofits. The hardware engineer must work with design, development, and sourcing teams; subject matter experts; vendors; and DCC field teams to assure successful product introductions. Responsibilities include proactively identifying pain points and opportunities, and advocating effectively for new or modified hardware as needed. Full lifecycle engagement is required, with lessons learned from field deployments rolled into future product introductions. The design engineer needs to collaborate effectively with internal stakeholders, assuring DCC requirements are represented prior to product down-selection. This position is full-time and is based in our main office in Menlo Park, CA.
- Work closely with vendors and product development engineers to assure smooth product introductions in our data centers
- Identify pain points and business needs for new or modified connectivity hardware, and champion successful product introductions addressing these needs
- Engage vendors and internal development teams to track new connectivity product introductions and development roadmaps, and drive successful adoption of high impact new products
- Represent DCC needs for new hardware with vendors and internal development teams
- Exercise and refine a lean, transparent product introduction process, assuring field and design teams are engaged early in the NPI process
- Review pre-production verification test plans, assuring key risks are addressed in the product pilot phase
- Gather and create high-quality documentation and training materials prior to product introductions, and assure field staff have advance access to these materials
- Support DCC quality and field engineers and work with vendors to assure rapid, effective responses to RMAs and implementation of robust corrective and preventive actions
- Support sourcing in specifying hardware and addressing security of supply
- Employ field data and considerations to drive an improved DCC product set
- Provide regular status updates and support DCC and corporate dashboards that highlight NPI roadmaps and risks
- Identify and respond to risks and high-priority issues rapidly and effectively
- Travel 20+% to evaluate new products and coordinate with onsite personnel and contractors at project locations
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science is required. Advanced degree desired.
- 5+ year track record of developing or specifying fiber optic hardware is required
- Knowledge of fiber optic component, cabling, and interconnect products, technologies, and standards is required
- Data center or other mission critical development experience is desired
- Must be detail oriented, able to provide solutions to complex problems, and able to meet tight deadlines
- Must have demonstrated ability to effectively engage diverse stakeholders
- Must have strong communication skills
- Travel 20+% from MPK
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top