Data Center Connectivity Field Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we're just getting started.
Facebook was built to help people connect and share. Over the last decade our tools have played a critical part in changing how people around the world communicate with one another. With over a billion people using the service and more than fifty offices around the globe, a career at Facebook offers countless ways to make an impact in a fast growing organization.Facebook is seeking a Field Engineer to join our Data Center Connectivity team (DCC). Our data centers are the foundation upon which our innovative services are delivered and our rapidly scaling infrastructure operates. The DCC team lights up Facebook's global data centers, delivering the physical infrastructure that connects the world to the videos, feeds, and other information stored on Facebook's server banks. The Data Center Connectivity (DCC) Field Engineer has Vendor management responsibility for delivering and maintaining new builds and retrofits for all low voltage and fiber optic cabling and support infrastructure. The Field Engineer is the DCC point of contact for our Vendor, and to other stakeholders at the data center. This position is full-time, located at our Clonee, Ireland data center.
- Assure delivery and maintenance of all structured cabling and connectivity, on time, within budget, and to corporate standards of quality, reliability, and uptime
- Responsible for managing vendor task assignment, allocation of resources, monitoring progress/execution, and quality of installation for all Operational and Construction activities on site
- Perform quality audits to assure DCC work meets quality standards prior to turn-over.
- Assure site as-built documentation are complete and up-to-date
- Oversight of the run operations team for detailed turn-up schedule, Moves Adds Changes and setting project priorities
- Determine all hardware and materials required to complete each new build and retrofit project and procure from suppliers
- Support development of best practices and initiatives, coordinating SOPs/SIPs with vendors, and participating in global and regional standards
- Assure crisp oversight and clear communications with vendors
- Assure rapid responses to high priority builds and break-fixes
- Proactively communicate progress and risks on site projects and initiatives to key stakeholders
- Assist in developing or identifying network cable/rack/cabinet installation processes and standards
- Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline or a minimum of 5 years direct professional experience in fiber optic cabling installation
- Experience overseeing vendors work and suppliers towards the same project goals
- Experience overseeing multiple vendors work and multiple suppliers towards the same project goals
- Prior experience in a mission critical environment requiring coordination across multi-disciplines for delivering a common goal
- Strong organizational and coordination skills to deliver results in a fast paced, mission critical environment
- Track record of success solving large, complex problems under pressure
- Ability to think strategically and act tactically
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to connect with and influence a diverse group of stakeholders with different objectives
- Outstanding communication skills
- Must be proficient with MS Project, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top