Data Center Connectivity Design Engineer
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Design Engineer to join our Data Center Connectivity team. Our Data Centers are the foundation upon which our rapidly growing infrastructure efficiently operates and our innovative services delivered. The successful candidate is responsible for design of inside and outside plant structured cabling for our data center installations, including new builds and retrofits. Candidates must be capable of generating designs as well providing effective oversight of outsourced design work. In addition to assuring timely delivery of designs meeting functional requirements, engineers are expected to drive best practices and establish tools, processes, and standards consistent with large-scale data center deployments. Full lifecycle engagement is required, with lessons learned from field deployments rolled into future designs. The design engineer is expected to collaborate effectively with internal stakeholders including capacity, network architecture, and field engineers, assuring their requirements are satisfied in the structured cabling design. This position is full-time and is based in our main office in Menlo Park, CA.
- Ensure timely delivery of scalable fiber optic & copper plant solutions throughout Facebook data centers
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to deliver designs meeting capacity and network requirements and turn-up timelines
- Collaborate with Design Consultancies to develop and review construction documents, schematic diagrams, pathways, rack systems, rack elevations, cable matrices, and Bill of Materials for all ISP and OSP cabling
- Assist with RFP & Bid documents to capture all aspects of project deliverables
- Coordinate with DCC field teams, contractors, and other departments in Facebook to plan and successfully execute structured cabling builds
- Identify and respond to risks and high-priority issues rapidly and effectively
- Support development of highly accurate budgets and cost forecasts
- Support New Product Introduction activities that improve infrastructure quality, reduce cost and installation time
- Travel 20+% to review projects and coordinate with onsite personnel and contractors at Facebook Data Centers
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science
- 4+ years of engineering experience in a construction field
- Experience in Design (Revit / AutoCAD / Bluebeam), Project Management and Documentation Applications (Microsoft Office) is required
- Detail oriented, able to provide solutions to problems, and able to meet deadlines
- Must have demonstrated ability to effectively engage stakeholders
- Knowledge of fiber optic component, cabling, and interconnect products, technologies, and standards
- Data center or other mission critical development experience
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top