Data Center Connectivity Design Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Design Engineer to join our Data Center Connectivity team. Our Data Centers are the foundation upon which our rapidly growing infrastructure efficiently operates and our innovative services delivered. The successful candidate is responsible for design of inside and outside plant structured cabling for our data center installations, including new builds and retrofits. Candidates must be capable of generating designs as well providing effective oversight of outsourced design work. In addition to assuring timely delivery of designs meeting functional requirements, engineers are expected to drive best practices and establish tools, processes, and standards consistent with large-scale data center deployments. Full lifecycle engagement is required, with lessons learned from field deployments rolled into future designs. The design engineer is expected to collaborate effectively with internal stakeholders including capacity, network architecture, and field engineers, assuring their requirements are satisfied in the structured cabling design.
- Ensure timely delivery of:
- Scalable fiber optic & copper plant solutions throughout Facebook occupied data center spaces
- Complete and correct construction documents, schematic diagrams, pathways, rack systems, rack elevations, cable matrices, and Bill of Materials, as needed for all ISP and OSP cabling
- Scope of Work documents capturing all aspects of project deliverablesIn addition,
- Assist with RFP & Bid documents to capture all aspects of project deliverables
- Support development of highly accurate budgets and cost forecasts
- Streamline deployment of project deliverables on short timelines
- Validate and proof project deliverables and executable design documentation prior to start of builds
- Oversee and maintain documents reflecting project complete deliverables, updating as required
- Support New Product Introduction activities
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to deliver designs meeting capacity and network requirements as well as rollout timelines
- Coordinate with DCC field teams, contractors, and other departments in Facebook to plan and successfully execute structured cabling builds
- Actively seek and promote best design practices and opportunities to establish standards conducive to large scale builds. Incorporate lessons learned from builds.
- Provide regular project status updates and support DCC and corporate dashboards that highlight program timelines, costs, and status
- Identify and respond to risks and high-priority issues rapidly and effectively
- Travel 20+% to review projects and coordinate with onsite personnel and contractors at project locations
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science
- 5+ year track record of delivering engineering results is required
- Construction experience is required
- Knowledge of fiber optic component, cabling, and interconnect products, technologies, and standards is highly desired
- Data center or other mission critical development experience is desired
- Must be detail oriented, able to provide solutions to complex problems, and able to meet tight deadlines
- Must have demonstrated ability to effectively engage diverse stakeholders
- Experience in Design, Project Management and Documentation Applications including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Visio, and Revit / AutoCAD is highly desired
- RCDD certification / BICSI accreditation and PMP accreditation are preferred.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top