Data Center Capacity Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a forward thinking experienced Engineer to join the Capacity team within Data Center Operations. Our data centers, and the tens of thousands of servers installed in them, are the foundation upon which our rapidly scaling infrastructure efficiently operates and upon which our innovative services are delivered. Facebook is at the leading edge of the global data center industry both in terms of how data centers are designed and operated. This person should enjoy working in a fast-paced environment where adaptability and flexibility will be key to their success. This position is permanent and will be based in Los Lunas, NM.
We seek an IT professional with advanced hands-on technical skills in Networks, Server Hardware and Linux (ideally in a Data Center environment). Having extensive knowledge of managing servers and performing complex projects in a large-scale distributed data center environment is a core competency of this individual. Solid communication skills are a requirement for this role.
The candidate should also have deep knowledge and experience in at least one of the following core areas: Networking, Project Management, Tool and Automation, Hardware and OS repair.
- Responsible for the planning and technical execution of projects throughout the Data Center.
- Work as a technical lead with cross-functional data center teams on a large-scale data center projects and initiatives.
- Provide guidance and mentor technical leads and the go-to technical resource for management.
- Track issues and analyze data looking for trends and systemic issues that impact fleet uptime and utilization. Perform root cause analysis of complex technical issues and drive resolution.
- Provide cross data center support and identify potentially larger issues, displaying effective communication when something is identified.
- Help develop global standards for processes, workflow and automation roadmaps for tools that facilitate deployment, maintaining and decommissioning of server hardware at scale. Lead process improvements and best practice in data center operations.
- Work with internal hardware teams and vendors to help resolve complex technical issues that affect Facebook's computing infrastructure.
- Understand and be able to update and develop scripting and smaller sets of software.
- Mentor team members to evaluate and look for better ways to resolve issues and define updates to tools and processes.
- Build cross-functional relationships and have the ability to influence policies and procedures to improve global data center operations.
- Participate in an on-call rotation.
- B.S. or B.A. in a technical field or commensurate experience.
- 5+ years of technical experience.
- Knowledge of Linux and hardware systems support in an Internet operations environment.
- Knowledge of the interdependencies of data center functions and technologies.
- Experience managing multiple projects within the same time schedule.
- Knowledge of enterprise level networking and storage equipment installs.
- Knowledge of out-of-band/lights-out server communication methods, such as IPMI and serial console.
- Time and project management experience.
- Experience modifying and developing used scripting or programming languages.
- Experience in large-scale data center environments.
- Proven experience in the application of project management techniques such as PRINCE2/Agile, or continuous improvement techniques such as Lean Six Sigma.
Back to top