Dark Fiber Systems Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook's global network, comprised of cutting-edge platforms, is looking for a Software Systems Engineer, to join the Backbone Engineering team. This team is responsible for designing, implementing and supporting one of the world's largest and most sophisticated optical fiber networks. As a Software Systems Engineer, you will have the unique opportunity to shape Facebook's production fiber network and connectivity projects in developing world markets. The role requires an in depth understanding of Software and Operations Systems in the transport network space. This position is full-time and located in our Denver, CO or Menlo Park, CA offices.
- Define and expand on Dark Fiber Network schema to representing all (OSP and ISP) infrastructure components.
- Define requirements for a solutions stack including OSS (inventory, activation, assurance and analytics) and BSS (accounting, billing, product catalog, order management and service enablement) for Dark Fiber Networks.
- Provide technical and domain level support to the software development team during the implementation phase and operations team during the production phase.
- Provide Engineering guidelines and standards for documenting route designs and tracking change records (GIS, CAD, internal modeling, remote sensing and image processing).
- Implement the monitoring stack that will be used by a NOC for managing cable and facility infrastructure.
- Identify metrics and build dashboards for capturing state of business and real time state of network.
- 10+ years of experience in planning, design, and implementation of dark fiber networks.
- Hands-on experience with aerial and buried fiber infrastructure, designing interconnections and hand-off points for feeder and distribution routes to connect to other fiber providers.
- Hands-on experience in building, integrating OSS/BSS solution for a telco class network.
- First-hand experience driving design standards and specifications of dark fiber networks and OSP projects.
- Working knowledge of industry standards, local telecom practices and procedures, local city, state and governmental rules and regulations.
- Experience working with third-party and off the shelf OSS/BSS products and associated services in this space.
- In depth understanding of operations management system for a transport network (Layer 0 and 1).
- Ability to work cross-functionally to obtain and use key data, and coordinate with the team to track as-built documentation.
- Experience with building monitoring systems based on open source tools.
- Good understanding of external data sources that exists for field information (geological, pre-existing cables and conduits, utility pole loading, weather patterns and constraints etc.) and record verification (ROW, encumbrance, access to professional/private/military facilities when applicable).
- Familiarity with industry standards such as ETSI, TMF, MEF, 3GPP.
- Industry level understanding and exposure to software systems like - Project Management (Primavera), CAD (AutoCAD), GIS (3-GIS, ESRI ArcGIS, QGIS) Shape files, Dark Fiber Infra Specific (Bentley MicroStation V8i, OSPInsight, FiberPlanIT, Mapcom M4).
- BICSI credential.
Back to top