Creative Director - Iconography, Visual Systems
- Flexible / Remote
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is looking for a Creative Director to join the Visual Systems team, a pillar within Product Foundation supporting the FB App. We focus on creating, maintaining, and evolving the visual systems that define our brand in the product including icons, emoji, illustration, motion, avatars, photography, and live action creative.
This role will be dedicated to leading the Iconography pillar of Visual Systems. Iconography plays an important horizontal role on the Facebook platform by establishing unity and utility with expression and personality. It binds together disparate product surfaces while empowering our community of 2.7 billion people to express themselves in a universal visual language.
This person will be responsible for determining high-level creative strategy, direction, and goals for various work streams in the product that will resonate with an external global audience. They will create new icon systems while maintaining and updating the current systems in place. The ideal candidate is a detail-oriented creative leader with a design-driven approach who constantly strives for simplicity, is known as a strategic partner to their cross-functional peers, and understands how form influences function. They are an expert in their craft, with the ability to inspire, and empower artists on a team to create their best work. They should have the ability to adapt to various creative styles and mediums, and know how to work in product.
- Define and oversee the strategy and creative direction of scalable in-product iconography systems across the FB app
- Guide work from visual designers, various creatives, and vendors (internally and externally)
- Implement a cohesive visual style and tone with Product Designers and Content Strategists, thinking about each project holistically, and how it fits in the entire FB App ecosystem
- Work cross-functionally, balance the needs of stakeholders, and break down complex narratives into simple, compelling ideas
- Influence leadership and peers through design excellence and strategic communication
- Create, inspire, and sustain a collaborative and people-centered culture
- Understand the FB app visual landscape to create a style that meets product goals and solves people problems
- Collaborate with product and engineering teams to absorb knowledge, define opportunities, and develop concepts and treatments to bring ideas to life (e.g. identify opportunities for product enhancements that would elevate the quality of our work)
- Manage developing culturally sensitive and appropriate creative that adapt regionally across a global audience while maintaining a degree of consistency for the brand
- Ensure our priorities are supported inside and outside the organization, and are represented externally
- Engage in company-level discussions that relate to our work and actively help other teams by giving feedback on new features and products in development
- 8+ years of experience as a creative lead at a creative agency or an in-house team with a focus on iconography
- A link to an online portfolio showcasing relevant work - work must demonstrate dedication to design excellence in a variety of digital media (mobile, web)
- High proficiency in creating and directing high-quality work on large projects (including icons, emoji, and reactions) in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated presentation, interpersonal, and communication skills, with experience communicating complex, sometimes abstract, concepts clearly and persuasively
- Demonstrated experience in taking design feedback and incorporating it quickly
- Demonstrated experience with building icon systems as well as shaping and leading product design
- Demonstrated experience fostering inspiring and inclusive team/work culture and empower all team members
- Experience in spotting trends and understanding popular culture in the global media landscape
- Knowledge of design principles related to branding, marketing, and publishing with understanding of UX design, digital product design, information hierarchy, user-flow, and typography
- Demonstrated experience coordinating, directing, providing creative direction to contractors, agencies, and in-house designers
Back to top