Counsel, IP (Trademarks/Counterfeits)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a highly motivated team player with a passion for online intellectual property matters to serve as Counsel, IP. This role will focus on global intermediary liability and notice-and-takedown matters, with an emphasis on counterfeits and trademarks. The job will tackle cutting-edge issues arising from content posted by users on Facebook, Instagram, and the companyâ€™s other services that may be offering counterfeit products or infringing third partiesâ€™ trademarks and other IP rights.
Days are fast-paced and action-packed, and we are looking for someone that is eager to roll up their sleeves and problem-solve on IP matters of all kinds. The position is highly cross-functional, working closely with other legal teams and key business units, including the companyâ€™s operations, product, and engineering teams.
- Develop and apply IP policies relating to counterfeit offerings posted by users on the companyâ€™s services, including Facebook and Instagram
- Provide legal guidance on incoming IP reports submitted by trademark owners and other rights holders identifying infringing content posted by users
- Advise business units on legal matters relating to counterfeit goods, trademark infringement, and other IP violations (including copyright)
- Work with cross-functional teams on legal issues arising under various laws, including the E-Commerce Directive, Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and Communications Decency Act (CDA)
- Coordinate intermediary liability and notice-and-takedown matters with a worldwide network of outside counsel
- JD degree (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least one U.S. state bar
- 2+ years of intellectual property experience, from in-house or at a law firm
- Experience with legal matters involving offerings of counterfeit goods online and other IP infringements (trademark, copyright, etc.)
- Experience with IP intermediary liability issues and laws (E-Commerce Directive, DMCA, CDA, etc.)
- Experience with obligations of online intermediaries in the US and elsewhere, including notice-and-takedown
- Experience assessing legal risks, as well as practical, business, and reputational risks
- Experience leading and multi-tasking on priorities and projects
Back to top