Core Data Science Intern, Systems Modeling Research
- Washington, DC
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking research interns to join the Core Data Science team in the Washington D.C. office. Individuals in this role are expected to be comfortable working as a scientist, software engineer, and data analyst, and have a passion for solving real-world problems. With a flexible range of projects, the ideal candidate will have a broad set of interests, including areas such as statistics, machine learning, experimental design, dynamical systems, differential privacy, and network science.
- Work with a small group of senior research scientists that consult with business and product teams to execute practical solutions
- Quickly learn and deploy appropriate data science tools and methodologies as needed, with tasks ranging from A/B testing to data processing and analysis to production engineering to optimization and machine learning
- Translate and implement cutting-edge academic research into practical and scalable algorithms
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, or related fields
- Experience with empirical research and answering questions from data
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
- Strong programmer in Python and at least one low-level programming language such as C++ or Java
- Research experience and publications in at least one of the following areas: statistics, machine learning, experimental design, dynamical systems, differential privacy, or network science
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire, and maintain ongoing work authorization during employmen
- Must be currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship/co-op
Back to top