Core Data Science Intern, Economic Research (PhD)
- New York, NY
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
We are looking for research Interns to join the Core Data Science team. Core Data Science is an interdisciplinary team of quantitative scientists that aims to deliver research and innovation that fundamentally increase the magnitude of Facebook's successes. The ideal candidate will have extensive graduate training in economics and econometrics, and an interest for answering challenging, open-ended research questions with real-world impact. Expertise in one or more of the following fields is preferred: causal inference and the statistical analysis of randomized experiments; game theory and economic modeling, especially in relation to the economics of platforms; and empirical industrial organization.
- Answer important product and business questions, by applying appropriate economic and econometric methodologies, and developing new methodologies when necessary.
- Identify new areas across the family of Facebook apps and products, where economic insights can drive product improvements.
- Synthesize and apply relevant insights from the academic literature on economics and econometrics to Facebook's products.
- Work both independently and collaboratively with other scientists, engineers, designers, UX researchers, and product managers to accomplish complex tasks that deliver demonstrable value to Facebook's community of over 2 billion users.
- Experience with empirical research and for answering questions with data
- Experience communicating quantitative analysis
- Experience manipulating and analyzing data
- Knowledge of a data analysis tool such as R or Python, and experience with general-purpose programming languages
- Currently has, or is in the process of obtaining, a PhD in Economic or related field
- Must obtain work authorization in country of employment at the time of hire and maintain ongoing work authorization during employment
- Must be currently enrolled in a full-time degree program and returning to the program after the completion of the internship/co-op
Back to top