Construction Manager, Special Projects
- Reynoldsburg, OH
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Our data centers are the foundation upon which our software operates with efficient ease. Building and operating data centers the "right" way from the day we break ground and go live is synonymous with ensuring capacity availability and capital conservatism. Designing, constructing, operating and continually, innovating the infrastructure within our data centers are fundamental to providing high availability, the capacity to meet our extreme growth demands and obtaining the most robust and cost-effective online service in the world!
Facebook is seeking a seasoned construction professional to join our Data Center construction as a Construction Manager, Special Projects. In this role, you will work closely with the Infrastructure Construction Management (ICM) teams and various internal departments including Pre-Construction, Business Operations, Facility Operations, Global Data Center Connectivity, Site Operations and Facilities Engineering. The focus will be on program management of retrofit construction projects in the areas of safety, project controls, QA/QC, communications, and general operations.
The Special Projects Group within the ICM team focuses on small to medium ($1M - $50M) scale technical construction projects (Capital Projects) supporting our existing Data Center sites globally and oversight of all construction at Facebook leased facilities. The ideal candidate will have a background in general construction practices both in the field and from the client's perspective. Strong communication and project management skills will be key to success in this role. This full-time role, which is based at our New Albany, Ohio Data Center, will involve periodic travel to various project sites and the home office in Menlo Park, California.
- Ownership of the Mid Cap portfolio of construction projects within a Data Center Campus (150MW of IT Space over (5) buildings) inclusive of live environment.
- Provide ICM leadership at the site by developing and maintaining strong relationships with our cross functional partners, consultants, vendors, and contractors.
- Identify, define, and gain cross functional alignment around opportunities to drive efficiency through innovation, process, and accountability.
- Provide project planning and scoping by working with cross functional partners and internal customers to identify, sequence and package work scopes for execution.
- Aid in the creation and maintenance of project schedules with support from Project Controls.
- Manage relationships with the contractor, designer and Owner Furnished Equipment (OFE) vendors within their portfolio.
- Manage expectations for operability and reliability for all projects.
- Provide project management of internal project delivery process to include procurement, scheduling, and internal communication and coordination.
- Provide cost saving solutions and negotiate contractor change orders.
- Assist with developing capital project budgets and provide ROM construction cost estimates.
- Manage monthly capex forecasting for all project related costs.
- Provide analysis and action plan based on weekly project status report (financial, schedule, Q/C).
- Manage new and retrofit projects at active Data Center site working around live environments.
- Manage Method of Procedures (MOPs) for any retrofit/remedy work in live data center.
- Provide construction consulting services to local Ops team and other cross functional departments.
- Participate and contribute to initiatives outside of project work to improve the performance of the team.
- Occasional (approximately 15%) travel to other sites and home office in Menlo Park, CA.
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent degree and/or minimum of twelve (12) years professional experience in any combination of construction, operations, maintenance, and project planning.
- Overall understanding of building systems including mechanical, electrical, and fire protection in a data center environment.
- Effective negotiation skills and experience providing solutions to complex problems under pressure.
- Communications skills.
- Knowledge of CPM scheduling practices and familiarity with Primavera P6 software.
- Functional in MS Office products (e.g. Word, Excel, and PowerPoint etc.).
- Data center design and construction experience.
- Project Manager Professional certification.
- Familiarity with ground-up construction and greenfield site development requirements.
- Knowledge of local US industry standards, building codes and safety standards.
- Familiarity with retrofit projects in live data centers or other mission critical buildings is preferred, including the development of Methods of Procedures (MOPs).
Back to top