Community Lab Curation Lead
(Menlo Park, CA - New York, NY - San Francisco, CA)
Careers at Instagram
A Facebook Company
We have over 800 million active accounts on Instagram, which means jobs here offer countless ways to make an impact in a fast growing organization. Instagram was built to strengthen relationships through shared experiences. Our app has played a critical part in forming meaningful communities where people can connect with each other and share what matters most to them.
As the Community Lab Curation Lead, you will be a part of an ambitious effort to understand and map the interest-based communities that call Instagram home. Our small team is building a piece of critical infrastructure that will help us better understand our diverse and global community, create new and compelling product experiences, a facilitate the sharing of knowledge across the entire company.
The Community Lab's charge is to drive broad impact with a lean and laser-focused team. Our mission is to map the interest graph of Instagram, revealing insights about our community and enabling product development across the company. Realizing this mission demands a high-performing, strategically focused, intellectually curious, friendly, empathetic and uncommonly optimistic team. The Lab seeks a Curation Lead who will be accountable for all creative elements of the Lab's work - from the integrity of our database, to the culture of our curation team. The ideal candidate is driven and motivated by our mission and the opportunities it presents - someone unafraid to tackle ill-defined opportunities, someone who gets unreasonably excited by a new source of machine learning data, someone who constantly finds themselves tumbling down the rabbit hole of niche sub-communities. This person is comfortable navigating in an environment of uncertainty, is cool under pressure, can balance & prioritize a complex set of demands, and contributes to the happy, healthy and high-functioning culture of the Lab.
The Community Lab Curation Lead is responsible for managing the team of researchers who build and maintain the Lab's interest graph mapping of the Instagram community. The role reports into the Head of Community Lab.
- Oversee implementation & maintain integrity of the Lab's database & taxonomy
- Build, scale, mentor and cultivate culture among a high-functioning Lab curation team
- Set high level strategy & goals, working with Lab leads and direct reports to benchmark and track progress towards those goals
- Represent the creative capacities of the lab to cross-functional stakeholders - both product and outreach teams - and ensure the quality & consistency of the Lab's outputs
- Devise and oversee self-directed projects that leverage the Lab's community insights for the benefit of partner teams
- Partner with engineers to implement tooling that makes our curation more efficient and effective
- Proactively identify & isolate roadblocks, and devise solutions to them
- 4+ years of experience in either of visual media curation/editing or product operations, project management, product marketing, or similar product-focused production
- Experience managing a team in a regionally distributed team
- Demonstrated experience working cross-functionally with stakeholders
- Experience with communicating to a variety of audiences
- Experience with SQL and Excel
- Knowledge in Instagram's business model, consumer audience, and drivers in consumer consumption habits
- Knowledge of Instagram's values, vision, and mission
- BA/BS Degree
- Proficiency or fluency in a language other than English
- Working knowledge of online/digital communities
- Familiarity with - or a willingness to learn - Tableau and/or other data visualization platforms
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Global Marketing Lead, Facebook Blueprint
As the marketing lead for Facebook’s Blueprint program, Lauren focuses on building awareness around the program and the adoption of education and training by businesses and advertisers.
Back to top