Communications Manager, Editorial
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a smart, experienced and creative Editor to oversee a new initiative that addresses many of the most challenging issues facing social media platforms today. As part of the role, this Editor will serve as a strong voice for transparency across Facebook.
The most public manifestation of this role initially will be the blog, Hard Questions. As its name suggests, the blog raises difficult 'social media' questions and attempts to answer them through comments, posts and Q&As with Facebook personnel , as well as external experts and resources. This blog has already addressed, for example "How should platforms approach keeping terrorists from spreading propaganda online?" and "How aggressively should social media companies monitor and remove controversial posts and images from their platforms?"
The role is located in Menlo Park, California.
- Commission pieces from two primary sources. First, people within Facebook with expertise or involvement in complex policies
- and second, technologists, academics, executives, community leaders and other experts outside Facebook with ideas about how to approach these debates.
- The Editor would work with these authors from beginning to end: developing the idea, editing a draft, getting internal approvals, and working toward a final post.
- The goal is to build Hard Questions into a lively platform that includes video, visualizations, interactive graphics and other tools to help us explain the complicated and engage the public on these provocative issues. In other words, not just 'text.' As the blog evolves , it should have the feel of a community or discussion group built around ideas that animate social media.
- The editor would also write pieces of their own in a style that is more reported and explanatory than opinionated. The editor's voice should reflect and respect humility and curiosity not boldness and provocation. Some posts might be in the form of "Q and As" with people internally who have a special insight or knowledge of how Facebook is tackling these problems.
- 10+ years of editing experience
- Experience in social media and building a lively, engaging editorial product
- Experience working with outside authors, sifting through and refining multiple drafts of copy
- Experience working with cross-functional teams across an organization
- Experience collaborating with 'multimedia' storytellers such as video producers, data scientists and visualization designers
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top