Commodity Manager - Mechanicals, Building 8
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Building 8 brings together world-class experts to develop and ship groundbreaking products at the intersection of hardware, software, and content. We have a clear mandate to ship products at scale. In particular, seemingly impossible products that define new categories that advance Facebook's mission of connecting the world. The B8 team will apply DARPA- style breakthrough development at the intersection of ambitious science and product development. It will operate on aggressive, fixed timelines, with extensive use of partnerships in universities, small and large businesses. The Supply Chain Team has the responsibility for identifying supply chain solutions that allow Building 8 to deliver products to market at scale. Building 8 seeks a Commodity Manager focused on mechanical components. We are looking for a slightly impatient individual willing to face down their fear of failure to accomplish bold things. We believe the role of a commodity manager is extremely complex and it has to be undertaken by someone who is capable of understanding markets, the supply chain, and how the business works. It is about far more than simply 'managing commodities' it is about mitigating risks, making sure the company survives extreme volatility in commodities and about integrating all the different roles within a company.This is a full- time position based in our Menlo Park office.
- Work with Design Engineering Team to identify the best supplier/partner in solving product component requirements for B8 products
- Negotiate contracts with commodity suppliers and set up terms for prices and delivery
- Conduct analyses of market conditions and trends and use this information to predict future supply needs, risks, and plans to mitigate issues
- Research potential vendors and compare their products, prices, and services as an opportunity to have alternative suppliers and competitive pricing
- Develop and implement strategies to create an efficient supply chain and reduce commodity purchase costs
- Work to minimize supplier risk by establishing strategies for risk evaluation and prepare solutions
- Frequently communicates with, and visits suppliers (foreign and domestic) to establish the appropriate commercial framework for Facebook Building 8 needs and to relay the required processes for doing business with Facebook
- Procurement experience within a manufacturing environment
- Spectrum of negotiation experience
- Experience in Microsoft office suite software including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Experience with ERP systems
- Communication skills
- University BS or MS in mechanical engineering or supply chain
- Analytical background including experience with tools such as Excel & Access
- Mechanical knowledge
- Understanding of overall systems interactions of hardware and mechanicals
- Understanding of industry standards for material types, finishes, and manufacturing processes, including machining and metal fab
- Planning, organization, and leadership skills, including managing global cultural differences.
- Ability & experience interfacing at all levels of the organization
- Ability to articulate vision and convey a sense of urgency
- Ability & willingness to work in a matrix organization with direct & indirect reporting relationships
- Ability & willingness to achieve results with minimal supervision
- MS Project experience
- 5+ years of experience in a purchasing and/or purchasing-related role in a manufacturing environment
- CPIM or equivalent designation but shows a level of commitment to the profession
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top