Character Technical Artist (Oculus)
Careers at Oculus
Part of Facebook
Join a team of researchers and engineers who are working to create the next generation of Virtual Reality technology. As a character technical artist, you will support VR research pilot projects by: concepting and creating virtual environments and other assets, adapting existing virtual art assets to research project needs, and working with the software engineering team to develop tools and pipelines to improve our virtual asset creation. Oculus Research is looking for a technical artist with the skills to conceptualize, build, and implement art that can help us validate our research goals with actual VR users, and to test how well our new technologies stack up against both existing consumer VR and what we think the future of VR should be. You’ll be responsible for creating 3D art assets for both prototyping and for use in user studies. Please note this position is a set term employment and forecast for up to 2 years.
- Create assets for use in VR research tests, demos, and user studies, at the appropriate level of detail and quality for the project need
- Create/clean up 3D scans of objects and environments to use in VR experience
- Work with software engineers to develop asset pipelines for both commercial and proprietary engines
- Evaluate technology packages, vendors, and equipment
- Support the research team in advancing our knowledge of VR
- 5+ years of experience modeling, texturing, and rigging assets for video games or equivalent media
- Experience with 3DStudio Max and Maya
- Experience with concepting, texture painting, and using tools to create shaders and materials.
- Experience working in a variety of art styles, quality levels, and project scopes, both with and without external art direction
- Experience building greybox environments to test functionality, then fleshing them out with more finished art assets as they become available
- Ability to manage your own task list and estimate how long tasks will take to complete
- Ability to escalate blockers and solve problems
- Ability to collaborate and iterate based on the team’s needs, particularly working with engineers or other disciplines
- Knowledge of graphics technologies and tech art tools
- Experience creating art assets for use in either Unreal or Unity
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top