Capacity Planning Engineering Specialist
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking an experienced, forward thinking Engineer to join our Data Center Site Operations team. Our data centers, and the tens of thousands of servers installed in them, are the foundation upon which our rapidly scaling infrastructure efficiently operates and upon which our innovative services are delivered. Facebook is at the leading edge of the global data center industry both in terms of how data centers are designed and operated. This person should enjoy working in a fast paced environment where adaptability and flexibility will be key to their success. This position is full-time and will be based in Lulea, Sweden.
We seek a Capacity Engineering Specialist with advanced hands-on technical skills in Data Center Infrastructure. This engineer will streamline and execute the Facebook data center capacity planning process and drive associated tooling, ensuring our fleet of servers are planned and deployed to stay ahead of rapidly growing infrastructure demand. Performing complex projects in a large-scale distributed data center environment is a core competency of this individual.
- As key Subject Matter Expert, lead development of new tooling, policies and processes to improve global capacity planning. This engineer serves as a voice of the field in driving new tooling and policies that serve to plan and deploy new server infrastructure.
- Provide technical thought leadership and direction, leading cross functional teams on large scale data center capacity projects and initiatives.
- Work cross-functionally and globally with Data Center and Infrastructure teams to scale capacity in the most efficient way.
- Seek opportunities to globally improve and innovate in key areas such as Data Center capacity planning, rack power utilization, documentation and standardization, tooling and automation as it relates to new Data Center capacity and decommissioning of end of life infrastructure.
- Leverage existing metrics and define new ones to support troubleshooting of global issues of a complex nature, and proactively analyze data to identify risks and opportunities for efficiency gains.
- Define and improve standards, processes and best practices for teams globally to leverage.
- Data Center Site Operations point of escalation for issues related to capacity planning.
- Provide guidance and mentoring to Plan & Build engineer in the field.
- BS, BEng or BA in technical field or commensurate experience.
- In-depth technical experience, preferably in a large-scale data center environment.
- Experience with Data Center Infrastructure and fleet management.
- Experience with Operational Continuity and Failure domain analysis at scale.
- Ability to process and analyze large or complex sets of data.
- Understands all aspects of large-scale Data Center Operations, including supply chain, logistics and asset management.
- Experience managing multiple projects within the same time schedule, possesses first-class time and project management skills.
- Comfortable working individually as well as in small and large groups on a regular basis.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to travel up to 30% required.
Back to top