Camera Systems Engineer
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
AR/VR brings together world-class experts to develop and ship groundbreaking products at the intersection of hardware, software, and content. We have a clear mandate to ship products at scale. In particular, seemingly impossible products that define new categories that advance Facebook's mission of connecting the world. The Cameras and Sensors Group has the responsibility for taking breakthroughs in core technology and delivering them to market at scale. The Cameras and Sensors Group is looking for a Camera Systems Engineer who has extended experience of leading high-performance camera hardware development from concept to production volume ramp in consumer electronics. This is a full-time position based in our Redmond Washington office.
- Define engineering requirement specification for design, test, manufacturing and sourcing of camera module, lens, optical filter and other camera components.
- Interact with cross-functional engineering teams (Product design, Industrial design, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Sensor Technology, Technical Program Management) for camera hardware development and system integration.
- Lead manufacturing partners on camera hardware design evaluation, prototyping, qualification and volume production bring up.
- Lead camera sub-system validation and testing (including image quality, lens optics, optical filter, electrical and mechanical testing, reliability) in both internal lab and at manufacturing sites.
- Failure analysis and debugging of camera hardware at both module and product level.
- Create proof of concepts camera hardware around the latest camera hardware technologies.
- About 20% of time travel to off-shore suppliers is required.
- BS in Optics, Imaging Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related fields.
- 5+ years of experience in camera hardware development over the full product life cycle from product definition to NPI and volume ramp.
- 5+ years of experience with consumer electronics manufacturing, partnering with Asia-based suppliers and contract manufacturers.
- 5+ years of experience working with cross-functional groups.
- Knowledge of camera module design principles and best practices with knowledge of image quality fundamentals and their system drivers.
- Knowledge of camera module manufacturing process and lens manufacturing process.
- Data analysis experience with JMP, MATLAB, Excel, or other analysis software.
- Working knowledge across the following areas with experience in at least five:
- Standard imaging interfaces and protocols in the typical consumer platform.
- Compact lens optics design & testing.
- Use ZEMAX/Code V software for analyzing and simulating image quality of camera imaging system.
- Image quality evaluation methodology (test algorithm, chart, lab setup).
- Camera module mechanical design and tolerance analysis.
- Camera module electronic circuit design, signal integrity and power integrity analysis.
- Image sensor characterization and design.
- ISP and image quality tuning.
- Depth sensing hardware development.
- Advanced camera module manufacturing process development.
- Masters or Ph.D. in Optics, Imaging Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related fields.
- Working knowledge of overall systems interactions in the image pipeline.
Back to top