Business Operations Manager
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
The Facebook Research Business Operations Manager is responsible for managing and orchestrating critical business functions within the Research Operations and Academic Relations (ROAR) team. This role is central to the success of the ROAR team into which it reports and has responsibility and accountability for managing the team’s budget, financial operations, forecasting, defining and improving internal processes, planning schedule, dashboard and reporting.
This is a highly-leveraged role at the center of Facebook Research’s operational delivery providing an interface between key functions in legal, research teams, administration and ROAR’s Program Manager delivery functions. The Business Operations Manager is responsible for owning/driving and improving Facebook’s internal research operational processes to help ALL of the Facebook research teams scale to meet their individual and collective collaborative research requirements.
The goals of this position are to help Facebook establish itself as the leading collaborative research organization and the destination of choice for academic talent looking to help connect the world.
We are looking for an experienced business operations manager with a passion for building amazingly effective operational research and outreach programs.
Specifically, success in this role will be achieved through 1) driving operational excellence at strategically important academic research conferences, workshops and summits, 2) helping negotiate research collaborations with academic institutions around the world and/or provide advice to stakeholder groups within Facebook on how best to forge key collaborative relations, 3) creating and maintaining a portfolio of engagement mechanisms, templates, data and reporting to support a broad set of academic engagements around the world, 4) orchestrating and improving critical research operations processes for Facebook, 5) providing fiscal oversight and reporting functions for Facebook’s Academic research engagements including all gifts, grants, awards, collaborative publications, conference sponsorships, 6) partnering with Facebook recruitment, legal and finance functions to best support the collaborative research process and community engagement, 7) and facilitating information flow and collaboration within Facebook research teams.
The successful candidate will have deep familiarity with academic and industrial research organizations, understand the academic/researcher mindset, calendar and communication preferences and have an intuition on what represents good ROI for collaborative research investments.
This is a full-time position located at our headquarters in Menlo Park, California.
- Establish a rhythm/cadence for the ROAR business including planning, reviews, reporting and internal communications
- Support the ROAR Director in ensuring the investments and portfolio reflect the strategic imperatives for the business
- Bring the Facebook Research culture forward, allowing personality and professionalism to shine and reinforce our collaborative partnerships in advancing knowledge frontiers
- Partner closely with many cross-functional teams within Facebook (research teams, recruiting, policy and legal, creative, communications and product marketing) and throughout the company to drive execution of the Facebook Research brand objectives
- Maintain a close working partnership with stakeholder business managers and administrators to ensure ROAR is the go-to team for academic engagement
- Recommend and implement process improvements, critical tools and infrastructure whilst ensuring the we do not become a slave to process and/or inflexible in our business practices
- 10+ years experience in a business management or business operations function
- 5+ years professional experience interfacing with academic research community with awareness of effective engagement mechanisms, sensitivities to IP issues, understanding of the academic calendar
- Has demonstrated ability to drive process improvements at scale in multi-organization environment
- Experience of working internationally both through direct engagement with researchers and through collaboration with internal partners
- Experience managing corporate issues and project management
- Experience in facilitating information exchange between research teams within an organization and between research teams and business/product delivery organizations
- Experience managing agencies and contractors, and putting in place scalable processes that deliver measurable results and impact
- Experience in a multi-national technology-focused company including multi-million dollar budget management with procurement/forecasting/reporting
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top