Battery System Engineer
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Facebook Reality Labs team is looking for a Battery System Engineer to develop battery packs for head mounted and body worn mobile products. You will develop batteries to enable the Facebook mission of connecting people using communication devices, virtual/augmented reality systems and new product categories. You will establish requirements with internal and external customers, design and develop battery packs to meet the requirements and integrate it into the final system.
- Design hardware and software systems for battery protection, charging and gauging
- Develop engineering requirements specifications, test and validation plans for manufacturing and characterizing battery packs
- Develop test plans to test batteries at the component and system level
- Support prototype and engineering builds
- Work with safety, reliability, operations and other cross functional partners to integrate the battery into the final system
- Work closely with firmware/software teams to program chargers and battery fuel gauges
- Work with vendors to develop custom and semi-custom ICs for battery management
- Work very closely with mechanical engineering team to develop battery modules and protection control systems
- Understanding of safety standards such IEEE1725, UL2054 etc.
- Supplier management during the various phases of an NPI/NTI program
- Ensure robust integration of the battery into the final system
- Conduct rigorous failure/root cause analysis on battery related problems and own communication on issues to the cross functional teams
- Support the sourcing team on cost analysis, supplier audits and market analysis
- 10-20% travel required
- B.S in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of electrical engineering experience in power management and battery management
- Understanding of Li-ion cell chemistry and the various processes involved in manufacturing lithium ion battery packs
- Experience with battery protection ICs, fuel gauge and chargers
- Experience with firmware/software development for for charger/fuel gauge integration with micro controllers
- Experience with C, C++, Python and/or other scripting tools
- Masters in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.
Back to top