(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
The Facebook Aquila UAV requires a highly efficient and light weight power system, ranging from motors to batteries to solar cells. Facebook seeks a Battery Specialist responsible for advancing the state of the art by carefully reviewing vendor designs and building models to verify their capability. This role primarily involves working with suppliers and partners and requires an excellent project manager, technical expert, and analyst - all in one.
- Create battery cell requirements based on system requirements and feasibility studies, specifying performance and SWaPC requirements.
- Monitor and report on the state of the battery industry, in both academic and commercial spheres. Assess feasibility of various chemistry options (Li-S, metal-air, fuel cells, advanced Li-ion)
- With the Sourcing team, identify viable suppliers and set up development contracts. Manage these projects and evaluate supplier capability and technical performance. Evaluate projections in terms of cost, durability, and reliability
- Manage testing and evaluation of cells
- Create models and simulations of cell and/or pack performance in representative conditions
- Create future projections of cell cost, durability, reliability, and performance.
- Drive the development of collaborative industry efforts.
- Ph.D in a relevant area (Chemistry, Physics, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, etc.)
- 10+ years of experience in battery cell or pack research and development, including testing and design.
- Familiarity with the materials and technology of advanced secondary batteries, including (but not limited to) Li-ion cells
- Demonstrated understanding of battery manufacturing processes and state of the art in scale-up and cost reduction
- Experience in working with vendors to deliver high-performance cells that meet cost targets. Project management experience.
- Ability to travel 20% of the time
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills
- Experience in battery pack development and engineering would be highly valuable
- Experience with aerospace applications of energy storage
- Experience in technical due diligence evaluation projects.
- Experience in building collaborative projects with multiple partners.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top