Backbone Network Performance Analyst / Engineer
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Every day we strive to provide best possible experience to our users that are now numbered in billions, and to make that possible, we have deployed an ultra-high capacity backbone network that spans the globe. We are looking for a Network Performance Analyst/Engineer to join our Backbone Engineering team to support the expansion of our global network through application of targeted metrics and valuable analysis to ensure we maintain our high performance. This is an ideal role for a Network Performance Analyst/Engineer that wants to work on a purpose built and ever expending network that touches and changes lives of billions for the better every day.
- Independently seek out problems with the way the business is managed, monitored, via KPIs signaling to the organization upon areas of improvement and measurable goals
- Identify KPIs and specify their target values
- Lead research efforts and conduct network performance analysis including rigorous statistical modeling
- Establish research efforts and perform financial and operational analysis including extensive valuation and pro forma impact modeling
- Build and support systems to improve the performance and reliability on the backbone
- Write and review code, develop documentation, build performance management services, plan for capacity/growth.
- Maintaining large data repositories and representing data in monitoring dashboards, measuring and tracking KPIs in time
- Work cross-functionally with various teams throughout Facebook Infrastructure, Network Sourcing, Procurement, Engineering, Planning, and Operations.
- 3+ years of experience in a technology role
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, Operations Research, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Specialties: statistical data analysis, queueing theory, non-stationary process analysis including understanding in sql, R and/or tableau
- Familiarity with network performance measurement standards and approaches, examples include (RFC2544, MEF (Y.1731) and NetFlow/SFlow)
- Programming skills: demonstrated experience in one or more programming languages (R, Python, Matlab, PHP, Java, C/C++)
- Experience with distributed application architectures and statistical process control (SPC) methodologies: time series analysis & change point detection.
- Six Sigma
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top