Backbone Network, Capacity Manager
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Every day we strive to provide best possible experience to our users that are now numbered in billions, and to make that possible, we have deployed an ultra-high capacity backbone network that spans the Globe. We are looking for a Network Planner to join our Backbone team to support the expansion of our global network. This is an ideal role for a Network Planner that wants to work on a purpose built and ever expending network that touches and changes lives of billions for the better every day.
- Plan network capacity and topology expansions using both off-the-shelf and in-house developed network design and analysis tools.
- Develop annual capacity and topology augment plan of records set, set implementation priorities, and timing.
- Create input requirements and managing the simulation output to support data-driven decision making
- Work with engineering, deployment, sourcing, and other various functions to support network infrastructure
- Coordinate sequential plans consisting of equipment overbuilds, grooms and for equipment decommissioning.
- Project manage and drive cost savings initiatives across the Facebooks’ infrastructure.
- Documents detailed technical methodology for installation of network equipment of moderate complexity, including build plans, equipment design
- Ensures all capacity constraints are identified such that all due dates are met and potential issues identified with proposed solutions.
- Forecast and manage inventory levels and responsible for budgetary timing and accuracy.
- Analyze capacity needs based upon up and coming hotspots on the network.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in network planning in high capacity, mission critical production environment.
- 1+ years experience with network design and equipment resiliency planning.
- 3+ years experience with IP, MPLS, and routing protocols combined with hands-on experience in major vendor products in the field
- Experience with use of network planning tools, such as Cariden, Aria, Wandl, OPNET and/or other inventory tools.
- Ability to effectively communicate across the organization including sourcing, engineering and program management.
- Experience with programming in Python or similar for data analysis and tools development purposes.
- Experience with both terrestrial and submarine networks is desirable.
- BS or MS in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top