Audio Engineer, Building 8
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Building 8 brings together world-class experts to develop and ship groundbreaking products at the intersection of hardware, software, and content. We have a clear mandate to ship products at scale. In particular, seemingly impossible products that define new categories that advance Facebook's mission of connecting the world. The B8 team will apply DARPA-style breakthrough development at the intersection of ambitious science and product development. It will operate on aggressive, fixed timelines, with extensive use of partnerships in universities, small and large businesses. The Product Launch Team has the responsibility for taking breakthroughs and delivering them to market at scale. Building 8 seeks an Audio Engineer who has experience in consumer electronics and mobile products. We are looking for a slightly impatient individual willing to face down their fear of failure to accomplish bold things. As an Audio Engineer, you will engage with an experienced cross-disciplinary staff to conceive and design innovative consumer products. You will work closely with an internal cross-functional teams, and outside partners to drive key aspects of product definition, execution and test. You must be responsive, flexible and able to succeed within an open collaborative peer environment. As part of the Building 8 Electrical Engineering team, you will be responsible for the design and integration of Audio Technologies for Building 8 products. This includes the development and optimization of various display & touch technologies. This is a full-time position based in our Menlo Park office.
- Work with the architecture team on defining audio, mechanical, and electrical characteristics and specifications for audio systems and their subcomponents (mic's, drivers, DSP, analog parts)
- Integrate new audio technologies into products from the prototype phase to mass production
- Manage the schematics and layouts of rigid and flexible printed circuit boards
- Diagnose and solve typical audio issues such as noise, distortion, co-existence.
- Define, specify, and document audio test plans and methodologies
- Author clear and comprehensive audio test plans for manufacturing partners to complete electrical and acoustic tests and validation
- Work closely with acoustic, DSP, and other audio engineers to ensure the overall system meets its design specs
- Track and resolve issues through various phases of production, and perform failure-mode and root-cause analysis
- Communicate work status regularly with clear articulation of design choices along the way
- Work closely with external design and test vendors to ensure the quality of the overall system design
- Work closely with internal and external cross-functional teams to ensure the design meets the specs at the component, board, and system level
- Design and execute a test methodology for characterizing system performance with external partners and test houses
- Leverage ODM/CM's resources to maximize the focus of our internal resources on adding value and differentiation to our product
- Identify design risks and develop mitigation strategies
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- 8+ years of experience in audio design for consumer electronics
- Experience in audio subsystem design and architecture, system integration, test, debugging and analysis.
- Experience with audio & acoustic lab equipment for audio measurement.
- Experience working with ODMs and CMs, as well as JDM development.
Back to top