Associate General Counsel, Privacy Program and Framework
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a talented Privacy Program and Framework Counsel to analyze global privacy regulations and advise on, document, and oversee implementation of necessary changes to Facebook's Privacy Program in order to comply with the requirements. When new legal requirements arise, ensure that the operational changes necessary to meet the requirements are identified and implemented. Partner with privacy operations and technical teams to design privacy controls that meet compliance requirements across Facebook's products and technologies.
- Analyze global privacy legal requirements and oversee the design and implementation of privacy controls as part of the Privacy Program.
- Provide legal guidance on, and ultimately approve, the sufficiency of Privacy Program controls to meet in-scope legal and regulatory requirements.
- Create and maintain policies and procedures necessary to direct the enterprise privacy activities and behaviors.
- Consult with cross-functional groups to ensure proper input, review, and approval of privacy related policies and procedures.
- Ensure legal sufficiency of privacy controls design and effectiveness. Operate, monitor, and test specific control activities assigned to Legal.
- Coordinate with globally distributed Legal compliance groups to ensure global integration of the Privacy Program.
- Manage and participate in internal privacy compliance programs and processes to ensure we meet our obligations under those programs.
- Develop and maintain subject matter expertise in areas of data use and protection laws and advising the impact of the same on Facebook's business.
- Assist product and other regulatory attorneys in evaluating impact of privacy laws, regulatory guidance and enforcement actions, and other related guidelines on product features.
- Support members of the legal, business, and policy teams on privacy and security-related legal matters, including in areas related to partnerships, acquisitions, integrations, and other business development opportunities.
- Evaluate the impact of legislative, regulatory, legal developments and industry proposals involving privacy and security across Facebook's services and companies.
- Drive high-profile and high-impact projects involving privacy analysis and compliance with stakeholders across Facebook's business including Policy, Legal, Communications, Security, and other departments.
- 8+ years of legal experience, including at a law firm and/or in-house experience with internet or technology companies.
- J.D. degree (or foreign equivalent) and membership in at least one US state bar.
- Experience with litigation, regulatory, or product counseling.
- Experience prioritizing work and providing advice under deadlines.
- Experience using business judgment and with client counseling.
- Experience advancing projects in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Experience with global privacy laws, compliance, regulations, and industry guidelines, especially including those relevant for social media and Internet companies.
- Demonstrated expertise in privacy and data issues arising in one or more privacy areas such as HR, security, advertising, B2B products, Internet of Things, or privacy program implementation/management.
Back to top