Associate General Counsel, IP
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook seeks a highly motivated, experienced attorney to support product and business marketing teams across the Facebook Companies. This person will lead the IP marketing content review and licensing program, working closely with content creators and producers to quickly spot and prioritize potential intellectual property issues, and providing practical advice regarding securing necessary permissions and negotiating trademark, copyright and right of publicity releases. This is a full-time position located in our Menlo Park, CA headquarters, and will report to the Director and Associate General Counsel, IP, Head of Global Trademarks. This is a great opportunity to join a growing legal team and work on cutting-edge issues in an exciting, fast-paced environment.
- Manage relationships with global brand, product and business marketing teams across the companies as well as cross functional partners within the legal team
- Develop and improve marketing clearance resources, strategies, and processes
- Train marketing, creative and production teams on IP issue spotting, procedures and policies
- Manage the current IP Counsel, Marketing, and grow the IP marketing team
- Counsel product and business marketing teams on the intellectual property risks associated with marketing campaigns and materials for Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Internet.org, Messenger, and Oculus, among others.
- Oversee the intellectual property aspects of social media marketing campaigns envisioned, developed and produced by the Creative Shop for major third party agencies and advertisers.
- Draft and negotiate copyright, trademark and right of publicity licenses and agreements
- Assist with other trademark matters as necessary, including trademark enforcement and naming diligence
- 8+ years of relevant experience, from either in-house or at a law firm
- JD with membership in at least one state bar
- Experience advising clients on trademark, copyright, and right of publicity issues in marketing content
- Experience working with web, app, social networking, or internet companies
- Experience advising advertising agencies or production companies
- Management experience
- Experience working with or in support of diverse communities.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top