Applied Scientist, Audio Algorithms (Portal)
- Menlo Park, CA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Portal team brings together world-class experts to develop and ship groundbreaking products at the intersection of hardware, software, and content. We have a clear mandate to ship products at scale. In particular, seemingly impossible products that define new categories and that advance Facebook's mission of connecting the world.
The Product Launch Team has the responsibility for taking breakthroughs and delivering them to market at scale. The Portal team seeks an Audio Algorithms Software Engineer. The successful candidate will have a good understanding of algorithm development or system engineering catering to embedded/mobile platforms. The candidate will have strong communication and interpersonal skills. This is a full-time position based in our Menlo Park office.
- Define, build new algorithms and add enhancements to existing algorithms to support human listening, machine listening and other new experiences on portal family devices.
- Define the subjective and objective performance metrics for various core audio algorithm components that ultimately roll into program level KPIs.
- Tune algorithms that are built in-house and by external partners to provide high fidelity audio performance with negligible audio artifacts and to pass performance goals.
- Port and Optimize the algorithms to fit on limited CPU and Memory on DSP and SoC sub systems.
- Dive deep and troubleshoot audio functional performance issues and work with audio QA and triage teams to reproduce, fix and validate the solution.
- Work with cross-functional partners to create new algorithm features on the roadmap and deliver committed features.
- Keep abreast with latest technological advancements in academia and in industry and bring new innovation and value to Portal customers.
- Provide subject matter expertise in assessing third party solutions for technical readiness and critically reviewing the performance of solutions showcased.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge in Audio capture or render algorithms for consumer devices.
- 5+ years of experience in algorithm developer, or system engineer roles catering to embedded/mobile platforms.
- Hands-on experience in designing and building echo cancellation, noise suppression, wake word, or spatial audio compression algorithms in real world products.
- MS/PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Back to top