Applied Research Scientist, Text Understanding
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Text Understanding Research Engineer to join our team in Menlo Park. The ideal candidate will have experience in developing natural language processing and understanding systems in different contexts such as information retrieval (web search engines), intelligent agents, spoken dialog systems or recommendation systems in many different languages. Individuals in this role should be experts in natural language processing (parsing, entity recognition and detection, text classification etc.), language modeling (including knowledge in very large scale language modeling and recurring neural network for language modeling) and data mining and statistics (with a focus on large scale text mining and processing, search query logs mining, intent mining). The candidate will help Facebook to embed deep natural language understanding into its product which are available in more than 70 languages.
- Leveraging Facebook's very large amount of text in various form to build and train natural language understanding systems
- Developing new algorithms and modeling techniques, conducting experiments to prove these new techniques and integrating them into the live production system
- Keeping up with recent advances in natural language processing, machine-learning and big data processing
- Work closely with other team members on the development and support of new products
- Run online experiments and develop metrics that can drive product requirements
- MSc in computer science, natural language processing, machine learning, linguistics, statistics
- Experience with commonly available tools and infrastructures for natural language processing, text mining, machine learning and parallel data processing
- Experience in large scale software development and product development process (code design, test plan and code reviews)
- Knowledge of one modern programming language (C++, java) and scripting language (Python, Perl)
- Experience with Hadoop/Hbase /Cosmo, Hive (HQL) and the Map/Reduce framework
- PhD in computer science, natural language processing, machine learning, linguistics, statistics
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Manager, Global Client Solutions
Peipei helps Facebook’s top clients devise solution-based and results-driven social media strategies. She creates strategic partnerships to help people and brands connect in a more meaningful way.
Back to top