Applied Research Scientist, Machine Translation
(Menlo Park, CA)
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to share, and make the world more open and connected. Through our growing family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that helps billions of people around the world connect and share what matters most to them. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to make the world more open and accessible. Connecting the world takes every one of us—and we’re just getting started.
Facebook is seeking an Applied Research Scientist to join our Machine Translation Team in Menlo Park. This team is part of the Applied Machine Learning organization within Facebook, working to break language barriers to create a world where everyone on Facebook can understand everyone else, no matter what languages they speak. In pursuit of this mission, the team has created machine translation systems that serve over 2 billion translations every day across 2000 different language pairs. However, this journey is still only 1% finished, and the team won’t rest until they can produce human quality translations for all language directions.The ideal candidate will have a strong background in developing machine translation systems, a strong knowledge of neural networks, and have experience working with massive amounts of data. They should also have strong software engineering skills and the ability to build systems that reach Facebook scale.
- Conduct research to advance the state of the art in neural networks and machine translation.
- Utilize that research to develop and deploy scalable neural network models into production to impact billions of people using Facebook.
- Contribute to helping the team develop machine learning models that help solve other language related problems, such as language identification and user language modeling.
- Collaborate with team members from other research and applied research teams working on a variety of deep learning and NLP problems.
- PhD/MS with relevant experience in the fields of machine translation, machine learning, deep learning, parsing or language modeling.
- 3+ years of experience in building in large-scale machine translation systems from the level of researching a prototype to the level of production.
- Experience with developing and training neural network models.
- Experience in C++ and Python.
Meet Some of Facebook's Employees
Sr. Manager, WhatsApp Customer Support & Localization
Cristina manages the WhatsApp customer experience, translating the application into multiple languages and troubleshooting communication services worldwide.
Back to top