Applied Research Scientist, Machine Translation
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Facebook is seeking an Applied Research Scientist to join our Machine Translation Team in Menlo Park. This team is part of the Applied Machine Learning organization within Facebook, working to break language barriers to create a world where everyone on Facebook can understand everyone else, no matter what languages they speak. In pursuit of this mission, the team has created machine translation systems that serve over 2 billion translations every day across 2000 different language pairs. However, this journey is still only 1% finished, and the team won't rest until they can produce human quality translations for all language directions. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in developing machine translation systems, a strong knowledge of neural networks, and have experience working with massive amounts of data. They should also have strong software engineering skills and the ability to build systems that reach Facebook scale.
- Conduct research to advance the state of the art in neural networks and machine translation.
- Utilize that research to develop and deploy scalable neural network models into production to impact billions of people using Facebook.
- Contribute to helping the team develop machine learning models that help solve other language related problems, such as language identification and user language modeling.
- Collaborate with team members from other research and applied research teams working on a variety of deep learning and NLP problems.
- PhD/MS with relevant experience in the fields of machine translation, machine learning, deep learning, parsing or language modeling.
- 3+ years of experience in building in large-scale machine translation systems from the level of researching a prototype to the level of production.
- Experience with developing and training neural network models.
- Experience in C++ and Python.
Back to top