Applied Research Scientist â€" Perception Science
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities â€" we're just getting started.
Facebook's AR/VR organization brings together world-class experts to develop and ship groundbreaking products at the intersection of hardware, software, and platform. We are seeking a Research Scientist to drive AR/VR efforts within Oculus. The person in this role will provide strategic guidance to our leaders as we develop products to advance Facebook's mission of bringing the world closer together.
The ideal candidate for this role will be a Research Scientist with a strong track record in the AR/VR industry. They will have exceptional communication skills and be able to quickly establish credibility based on their experience. They will be a self-starter who is comfortable in a rapidly changing environment and takes a proactive approach to influence product development.
We are looking for a talented researcher with a background in basic and applied perceptual science to drive research on novel input and display technologies. As a Research Scientist at Oculus, you will be tackling the scientific challenges that define the quality of VR experiences. The person in this role will study the impact of input and display system architectures on how users interact with objects, environments, and other people within VR.
- Work with cross-functional internal and external research teams to plan and coordinate psychophysical and behavioral studies to better understand human perception and user experiences in the context of new and emerging display and input technologies
- Create novel experimental approaches to assess the impact of nascent technologies on human perceptual systems within VR/MR/AR
- Employ existing knowledge of human sensorimotor and cognitive processes to help guide product teams toward effective solutions
- Collaborate with internal teams (e.g., optics, applied physics & engineering) to explore how emerging technologies impact user experiences in VR/MR/AR
- Communicate findings of experiments and set target specifications for new technologies
- Ph.D. in Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Industrial Engineering, or related field
- 5+ years work experience in researching applied perceptual science questions (e.g., experience in psychophysical testing and experimental design in product development contexts)
- Knowledge and experience working in the development of display and input technologies
- Experience in working collaboratively with cross-functional teams and influencing organizations through research insights
- Experience communicating concepts and findings to audiences
- Proven experience working and collaborating with other researchers
- Demonstrated knowledge through authored publications, international conference presentations, or shipped products
- Experience working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
Back to top