- Washington, DC
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
Are you interested in solving complex problems that are geared towards improving the privacy of people using Facebook's family of apps? Do you have an adversarial mindset and are excited about investigating and analyzing potential threats? Come join us at Facebook! The Anti-Scraping team is seeking a highly motivated team player to conduct investigations of online abuse, in order to identify those responsible and work with legal to achieve disruption through legal enforcement, including litigation. The investigator will manage investigations from start to finish, which will include threat analysis and research, external data analysis, data gathering, on and off platform attribution, cross-platform analysis and OSINT investigations. The candidate will work with partners across the company and internally share their investigative findings in an effort to make our products and users more secure through product and policy changes. The potential for impact with this work is substantial, as outcomes could affect billions of people who use our products.
Successful candidates for this team have a bias toward action and enjoy finding patterns amid chaos, making quick decisions, and aren't afraid of being wrong. The ideal candidate will have a multidisciplinary investigative background at the nexus of data and attribution analysis as well as cyber security, bot detection/mitigation, scraping etc. The candidate will have experience working with large data sets and will have in-depth experience in data-driven decision making. You are scrappy, focused on results, and a self-starter.
- Investigate complex cases using a variety of methodologies (on and off platform) to understand in granular detail how abuse is occurring and attribute the person(s) responsible. Identify enforcement strategies to mitigate harm both in the current case and from similar forward-looking abuse. Document findings in detailed and comprehensive reports.
- Develop investigation plans and strategies for preventing and disrupting threats at scale that can manifest on Facebook's platforms.
- Analyze and interpret results of technical analysis to advance investigations, quantify trends or support findings.
- Engage cross-functionally with other analytic and investigative teams within the company to develop best practices for conducting investigations, training, and tracking and reporting on investigation trends to the team and supporting legal and technical enforcement actions against bad actors.
- Manage multiple investigations at once while effectively prioritizing time.
- Assist in the development of the long-term strategy in investigations and fraud risk management with out-of-the-box, innovative thinking.
- Proactively look for currently undetected abuse by leveraging internal data, open-source intelligence and third party private intelligence.
- Research how threats show up within the ecosystem and deeply understand how abuse manifests.
- Partner with external threat intelligence vendors to better explore and explain the overall landscape of the scraping ecosystem, with a focus on understanding the economics of the scraping enabled business models and the most significant risks these practices present to users.
- 5+ years of post-college investigative experience conducting technical and non-technical investigations of online threats and abuse.
- Experience drafting investigative reports and documenting evidence and findings.
- Technical aptitude, including exposure to Linux/Unix environment, SQL, PHP, Python, Java, or other programming/scripting languages, TCP/IP protocol stack, and a variety of operating systems.
- Communication and interpersonal skills with experience working with teams cross-functionally.
- Experience addressing problems and making continuous process improvement, while interacting with all levels, setting objectives, driving results, and working cross-functionally.
- Experience communicating with non-technical personnel and working collaboratively.
- Experience with open source investigation techniques and familiarity with a variety of internet research tools.
- Bachelor of Technology/Master of Computer Applications (MCA) or equivalent college degree in a relevant discipline
- Experience applying data analytics to security risk analysis and investigations Adversarial mindset
- Great attention to detail and personal quality assurance
- Self-directed, self-motivated with experience working with minimal supervision
- Experience working with attorneys
Back to top